PDA

View Full Version : gas tank ?'s

Experimental_Honda
01-14-2003, 08:15 AM
ok so im thinking about a motor swap cuz i dont want to get a webber i really hate carb's! i was wondering do i have to put a efi gas tank in my car when i do the swap?? i want a bigger accord motor like a f22b2 or f22a1.

Experimental_Honda
01-14-2003, 08:19 AM
oh yeah and where could i get the mounts for em??

Experimental_Honda
01-14-2003, 08:30 AM
so i just found out its damn hard to get the motor i want into the car so never mind all that!! do i ahve to change the gas tank and what is some thing thats pretty good but still kinda cheap that i could swap what about like a b16a1 or a zc??

mykwikcoupe
01-15-2003, 05:02 PM
I dont know from experience yet but I read in the FAQ that you dont have to but you will need to add a hole for the fuel return line( a must for EFI) and you will have to fill up your tank before you get less than a quarter tank because the inner baffles are different. Hope this helps and If anyone knows anything else or wants to correct me feel free.

carotman
01-15-2003, 05:50 PM
if you go EFI you'll need another gas tank. Unless you use an external fuel pump and change the fuel pickup to accept a return line.

Experimental_Honda
01-15-2003, 08:37 PM
ahhh true. cuz im thinking about a B16a1 swap. i have found every thing i need to do it so im thinking about droping the cash on it. could i yank a tank off an LX-I??? i fpund one for like 100.00.

Experimental_Honda
01-15-2003, 08:39 PM
found i mean. it almost sounds like more money and trouble than i care to fuck with im thinking its about time to sell the 88 and try and get this 95 lx in order or sell em both and get a older lude or teg.

smufguy
01-17-2003, 10:28 PM
f22a1 and f22a4 found on 4g accords are not worth putting in ur 3g. and i dont know if anyone, including place racing, would make mounts for it and also to note that the f22 is a lot heavier and not good for our cars. yes its 2.2L and 130hp and 140 ft-lbs stock, but with a lil mod, your a20 should be more powerful than that.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-18-2003, 02:27 AM
For a $100 for a used gas tank you're getting ripped. I saw new ones on ebay for like $140 (efi and carb)

Tim Yoak
01-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
For a $100 for a used gas tank you're getting ripped. I saw new ones on ebay for like $140 (efi and carb) I didn't think they were any different, the efi pump will drop into the carb tank, you need to change the fittings, but there is a fuel return line, it's part of the emissions system. You'll have to check the book, I believe any excess in the charcol canister drains back to the tank. I've seen the lxi pump and the dx pump next to each other and they look exactly the same. Honda designed the bodies to accept eithier fuel injection or carb. this was to make the assembly line more efficient. If you look in the drivers side footwell there is even a rubber plug where the fuel injection harness would go.

Experimental_Honda
01-26-2003, 08:27 PM
hmm well i would really like to get the for sure low down cuz i want an efi swap so i need to know what all ima need to buy. so that way i know how much i may be spending.

Tim Yoak
01-26-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Experimental_Honda
hmm well i would really like to get the for sure low down cuz i want an efi swap so i need to know what all ima need to buy. so that way i know how much i may be spending. I've looked at both tanks and I don't see any reason the baffles would be different the pumps are exactly the same. the carrier is the same just one pump is low pressure and one pump is high pressure. you should be able to drop the efi pump into the dx or lx tank. you eithier have to change the fittings to flared fittings or pull the entire fuel lines from an lxi. this is not as easy as it sounds because the lines run inside the body and up behind the dash. you will need the underhood fuel filter assembly from an lxi... i would find one at the junkyard and look at the fuel system.I'm pretty sure it has some sort of fuel return system though. The reason some people think the baffles are different is because the cars with the underbody pumps have a different kind of pickup. but both the in tank pumps are pretty much the same.

Sean
01-26-2003, 10:47 PM
the baffles are differnt. dont ask my why but they are.

Jims 86LXI HB
01-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Excellent team works guys, nice to see people really willing to help out:werd: this is what 3geez is all about:super:

Tim Yoak
01-27-2003, 02:21 AM
Ok, make sure you weren't looking at an 85, according to my book they first designed the fuel injection system in 85, in 85 they still had the three barrel carb and the optinal fuel injection system, in 86 the carb went to a two barrel and adios(thank god) to the cvcc carb:devil: the possesed carb. in 85 the pump was mounted under the car then in 86 both carb and fuel injection went to the in tank pump. maby the baffle was changed later for a product improvment or something, I looked at the inside of a tank from an 86 dx and an 86 lxi and they were the same. I know in hard cornering I can have fuel starvation problems. maby thats what changed. why not get a tank from the lxi and install it on your car.? it should bolt up. there is a sererate fuel return line for the lxi, I would just get the tank, the lines, the fuel filter etc. that way if you decide to upgrade to a b series later or something you will have the base setup you need for fuel injection. :smokin: :bow: :bow: :wave:

Tim Yoak
01-27-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Tim Yoak
Ok, make sure you weren't looking at an 85, according to my book they first designed the fuel injection system in 85, in 85 they still had the three barrel carb and the optinal fuel injection system, in 86 the carb went to a two barrel and adios(thank god) to the cvcc carb:devil: the possesed carb. in 85 the pump was mounted under the car then in 86 both carb and fuel injection went to the in tank pump. maby the baffle was changed later for a product improvment or something, I looked at the inside of a tank from an 86 dx and an 86 lxi and they were the same. I know in hard cornering I can have fuel starvation problems. maby thats what changed. why not get a tank from the lxi and install it on your car.? it should bolt up. there is a sererate fuel return line for the lxi, I would just get the tank, the lines, the fuel filter etc. that way if you decide to upgrade to a b series later or something you will have the base setup you need for fuel injection. :smokin: :bow: :bow: :wave: whoops somehow unscribed ok fixed

Experimental_Honda
01-27-2003, 09:17 PM
thanks fot the help!!! sounds like i have some work ahead of me if i want an efi swap.

carotman
01-28-2003, 04:04 AM
did you check the how-to section?

Someone wrote something about some EFI swap. :D

ryansaccord
01-28-2003, 12:39 PM
you should be able to pick up a tank at a local u pull it for ten bucks. Here they sell them for ten bucks because they drill a quarter inch hole in the bottom of them to drain them quick. All you would have to do is get it welded. And the fuel pumps for lxi are 15 bucks. thats what i plan to do. OH yeah, anyone know if $350 dollars is cheap for an lxi engine, complete with ecu and everything with 166000 miles.

Tim Yoak
01-28-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by ryansaccord
you should be able to pick up a tank at a local u pull it for ten bucks. Here they sell them for ten bucks because they drill a quarter inch hole in the bottom of them to drain them quick. All you would have to do is get it welded. And the fuel pumps for lxi are 15 bucks. thats what i plan to do. OH yeah, anyone know if $350 dollars is cheap for an lxi engine, complete with ecu and everything with 166000 miles. you need more then the tank read above, you need the lines, the fuel filter assembly, the wire harness etc. and be careful who welds that tank even if it's empty it can still explode. It needs to be steamed to remove the varnish. thats what melts and the vapors explode.

Experimental_Honda
01-29-2003, 07:31 PM
so im pretty much gonna say fuck it and do what i can to my a20a1 and save up for another car cuz my 95 is in bad shape i juts yanked the motor and its gonna be a while till its on the road.