PDA

View Full Version : 89 accord lx gets hot with almost all work done

Medina5469
10-30-2015, 05:35 PM
I've been searching and can not find my answer. I just had my head gasket, water pump, timing belt, block & radiator flushed and my car is still getting hot! Any and all help will be much appreciated. Also my idle revs high until I burp the throttle then goes down most times.

MessyHonda
10-30-2015, 06:19 PM
did you change out the thermostat?

Medina5469
10-31-2015, 01:52 AM
Yes I had it replaced about 5 months ago is it possible they put it in backwards?

Medina5469
10-31-2015, 02:40 AM
It gets really hot then if I'm on the highway it will go down to regular operating temp

Samwise
10-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Sounds a lot like air in the system. Get yourself one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446348324&sr=8-1&keywords=spill+proof+funnel), put it on the radiator, fill it with coolant until it's about halfway up the funnel, and let the car idle for a period of time (until the fans turn on and off at least a few times).

Also, is your heater working?

Medina5469
11-01-2015, 04:57 AM
Yes my heater is working also can it be because my ported vacuum sensor thing is busted one of the air lines snapped off. And I just bought that funnel kit

Oldblueaccord
11-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Yes my heater is working also can it be because my ported vacuum sensor thing is busted one of the air lines snapped off. And I just bought that funnel kit

There is a bleeder right on the thermostat housing. Search for it there a procedure wrote up here. It might help.

Also check the sensor connection of the stock guage. If its corroded it may read funny. Its the single wire on the t stat housing as well.

Dr_Snooz
11-02-2015, 09:52 PM
Are your fans working?

Medina5469
11-03-2015, 06:50 PM
My fan works but my ac fan blows the fuse every time I start it

Dr_Snooz
11-04-2015, 09:30 PM
I mean the radiator fans. Do they work? They are supposed to turn on when the car gets too hot and cool it back down. If they aren't working, it would cause your problem.

Demon1024
11-04-2015, 10:58 PM
This was my first thought.
My car opposite... pretty sure thermostat is wrong range. Try Oe thermostat? Go cooler if you can't find the problem there and everything is as it should be running.
Ignition timing? Clogged radiator... head gasket leak ( Did you need retorque on it?")
I think the gauge goes down if break in wire, right? And more resistance does the same?
Carb?

Medina5469
12-01-2015, 01:17 PM
my radiator fan is working. also i just had the block and radiator flushed again thinking it might be the problem but no luck i think I'm just going to have to take it in to get a eval of what exactly is going on in there and will update with exact problem for anyone in the same boat thanks everyone for the support i appreciate it

conozo
12-02-2015, 06:16 PM
I chased a difficult overheating issues at one time. Here is what i checked and did.

put in a failsafe thermostat (dont even bother with the non failsafe kind)
made sure the thermostat has the little hole in it and make sure its on the top
made sure the system was bled correctly with the bleeder bolt near the thermostat
I actually took my water pump off and made sure the propeller inside was connected to the pulley on the outside
verified my radatior fans all worked
used one of those test kits that detects for exhaust gases in your coolant

What it actually ended up being was that my upper and lower raidator hoses were switched around. A shop did that and put them on the wrong way. Basically there was air in the system because it was sucking air instead of coolant. Even when bleeding it, it bled normally. I dont remember which hose goes on where off the top of my head. But check the manual to make sure your two main radiator hoses are correct.

noidea24
12-16-2015, 02:52 PM
I've been searching and can not find my answer. I just had my head gasket, water pump, timing belt, block & radiator flushed and my car is still getting hot! Any and all help will be much appreciated. Also my idle revs high until I burp the throttle then goes down most times.

Is your radiator stock/original? i recently chased a overheating problem i had that only occurred on the interstate. My problem was the radiator. The radiator had poor flow that had gotten worse over time.

Right away you can eliminate radiator fans from being a problem, as these should not be turning on while traveling.

If the thermostat was getting stuck,it would start overheating immediately after warming up, but its best to replace it as its only 11$ from napa.

Air in your system is a very probable cause. You can get the air out of your cooling system without using the bleeder valve though.
Start with a cold car, open the radiator cap and leave it open
Fill the radiator as much as you can
Start the car and let it warm up WITH THE RADIATOR CAP OFF.
As the motor warms up and the temp gauge starts to move the thermostat should open. (it make take a minute)
when it does open you will start to notice the water in the radiator begin to flow. (if it doesnt replace your thermostat)
if there is air in the system, bubbles will start to come out of the radiator and the coolant level will probably drop dramatically.
When it does bubble/drop fill it as much as you can with water/coolant.
Now place the radiator cap back on, and turn the car off. (if you turn it off before you put the cap back on it will all splash out.)
drive it around and see if the problem is fixed.

I personally believe the radiator may be clogged from age,dirt,etc.

idleing high until you press the gas a little is a problem ALOT of 3geez have, and should have nothing to do with the overheating issue. im guessing its carbureted, if it is, its probably the choke.

I dont remember which hose goes on where off the top of my head.
The radiator hose coming off the head from under the distributor goes to the top of the radiator, the radiator hose coming off the bottom of the radiator connects to the water neck a little further back.