PDA

View Full Version : power steering issues...

markmdz89hatch
01-14-2003, 11:03 AM
So I know that my coupe leaks ps fluid, but I'm not positive where it's coming from. I'm pretty sure, however, that it's not a hose. Anyway, the symptoms....

When the car is cold, I start it up and turn the wheel in any direction and I get a horrible screeching sound. Not only that, but sometimes the wheel decides it doesn't want to turn while it's screaming at me. I think it's the P.S. Pump, but how can I be sure? Can it be the whole steering rack that's giving me issues? How would I know either way? One other funky thing that happens that's kinda strange is that sometimes (VERY rarely) I seem to lose power steering while at very low speeds. That however may be due to low fluid level.

Either way, any light that anyone can shed on this subject for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
-Mark

Lester Lugnut
01-14-2003, 04:29 PM
Could be leaking from power steering box that's underneath car. Put car on ramps and follow PS hose that goes down underneath.

An even more likely place is the PS steering rack which is also under the car, only further back. The rubber boot on it is a good place to look. It may be torn and the seal inside on the assembly may be leaking. A torn boot in itself here doesn't cause the leak, it just helps you to see one.

Helps if you have a Haynes manual for these cars - $20 at places like Pep Boys or try the public library. Some towns have used book stores that often times sell the Haynes books for $7-$10. A good investment.

AccordEpicenter
01-14-2003, 10:03 PM
check ur belt and fill up ur fluid. The steering rack itself can leak, and another problem area is the front cooling line for the ac, its right behind the bumper before the radiator, and they leak around the hose clamps due to rust.

AZmike
01-14-2003, 10:40 PM
What you're describing sounds just like a loose belt so I'm going to agree with AccordEpicenter.

Blue Impact
01-15-2003, 12:06 AM
My fluids are fine and I don't have any leaks of any kind, but my car screeches like hell whenever I turn the steering wheel. I also have a coupe too. I guess this is something that just happens to us coupe owners.

markmdz89hatch
01-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
check ur belt and fill up ur fluid. The steering rack itself can leak, and another problem area is the front cooling line for the ac, its right behind the bumper before the radiator, and they leak around the hose clamps due to rust.

...I'll be sure and check the belt, but what concerns me more then the screeching is the leaking. If it is in fact the rack, can just a seal or boot be replaced, or does that constitute a replacement of the entire steering rack?

Thanks for all the help you guys have given so far...

AZmike
01-15-2003, 03:31 PM
You can replace the dust boots and end seals for about $60, but sometimes the reason it was leaking was a sticking control valve. You could try taking the rack apart but the Helm manual shows that several special tools are used in the process so I just replaced the whole rack. I posted all the PS related TSBs a while ago, a quick search should dig them up.

Squeaking is always a loose belt in my experience. The PS systems are identical between coupe and sedan.

vtec11
01-17-2003, 02:20 PM
my car did the exact same thing, it was squeeling for months... replaced the seals on the rack and the noise went away..