PDA

View Full Version : changing trans fluid

Mantis88LX
01-14-2003, 11:15 AM
ok i drained the ATF till it was non left in, then i put 3 guarts back in. is this right? or am i soposed to crank it up and chang thru the gears to drain the torgue converter? or does that work with our cars.

thanx, the reason i ask is that my dipstick shows that the trans is overfilled, i think the car is offlevel right now tho cuz our drive way is gravel.

DBMaster
01-14-2003, 11:55 AM
In my experience (and I have changed mine quite a few times in 13 years) it takes exactly three quarts to fill it back up when you drain it. You won't have drained the T/C by pulling the drain plug.

Check it again after you have driven it some and the level should be fine.

Mantis88LX
01-14-2003, 12:40 PM
when u check the level u have the car idling in park right?

Lester Lugnut
01-14-2003, 04:23 PM
The system holds 6 qts. of Dexron-III. 3 is all you're ever going to able to drain. 3 stay in the torque converter(TC).

It's so easy to do that I simply change mine every time I change my oil which is often. Should have close to 300,000 on the beast by end of the year.

Change all fuilds/filters often and you'll be amazed at how long it will last.

Mantis88LX
01-14-2003, 04:45 PM
so u cant change thru the gears to drain the T/C while u have the drain plug off?

Lester Lugnut
01-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Removing the drain plug drains 3 qts. It doesn't drain the 3 in the TC. No EASY way to do this.

Mantis88LX
01-14-2003, 07:56 PM
so after i pull the drain plug should i lower it off the jack so it can drain evenly or does it all drain out while on the jack?

also after i drained mine it was still slowly dripping when i put the plug back in, am i soposed to wait till it stops dripping completly?

SiR
01-15-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
so after i pull the drain plug should i lower it off the jack so it can drain evenly or does it all drain out while on the jack?

also after i drained mine it was still slowly dripping when i put the plug back in, am i soposed to wait till it stops dripping completly?

You can lower the jacks to get more out of it, it wont be that much but it does some help. It will stop dripping or drip VERY little. Do this after you already ran the car so its very hot. Thats the best way of cleaning out that crap. Just becareful, ATF gets hotter then motor oil in the pan.