PDA

View Full Version : Idle

MrBen
01-14-2003, 04:03 PM
Okay i know I've got some issues here. This has been going on for the longest time, but what the hell. Today I was cruising in the parking lot for an hour trying to find a goddamned parking spot at my college, and the idle was especially high. Like people thought I was revving my engine so I could run them over. This happens every time i drive it. It just shoots up to 3 or 4 grand and doesnt go down until I put it in gear. I can also be cruising down the street without touching the accel. pedal and it will still go as if I was pressing it. What's going on, and what is something CHEAP I can try first because I am not exactly full of money.

Also, another thing. When I change gears my steering wheel goes back and forth in every gear. I had the front end checked out, everything's tight. Tires are balanced and fine, no bumps or anything. Bearings are fine. I've taken it a few places and they just shrug and don't know what it is. HELP!

MrBen
01-14-2003, 04:05 PM
Clarification: The idle is not always that high. Half the time it is fine. The idle is the way it should be. Timing is fine. Mixture is fine.

ACCORD EX
01-15-2003, 06:25 AM
stick throttle cable ! ? clean the carb with a carb cleaner ( sticky choke )

MIKE

MrBen
01-15-2003, 11:21 AM
How do I go about doing this? Is it something a newbie can do?

A20A1
01-15-2003, 12:05 PM
also could be a small vacuum leak to manifold vacuum near the idle control diaphragm on the left side of the carb.

MrBen
01-15-2003, 12:11 PM
I had it scoped. Several times. No vacuum leaks are existent.

A20A1
01-15-2003, 12:54 PM
just buy some GUMOUT carb cleaner.
All you have to do is remove the (2)10mm nuts and unclip the sides to remove the air cleaner lid and spray like mad thru the brass metal screen. It will take a few tries to restart the car with excessive cleaner in the intake manifold. Clean it with the car off but do it after the car has warmed up.

dosh8er
01-15-2003, 09:37 PM
if it does it, try pulling up with your toe on the accelerator, that worked for me, until i lubed up my cable (i think it might be in order to replace it as well as the clutch cable soon)

MrBen
01-15-2003, 09:44 PM
That reminds me, the clutch engaging G spot on the pedal (you know) fluctuates. The mechanic said it was fine and just adjusted it a few weeks ago. It's doing it again...

MrBen
01-17-2003, 05:45 PM
Hey I just did the gumout thing, it blew out a whole crapload of crap. Now my idle is low! lol, but its not high anymore!

thanks