PDA

View Full Version : Length of speedometer cable to buy

derolph
11-13-2015, 08:55 AM
I'd like to replace my speedometer cable. Temperatures are getting cold here in the midwest and my speedometer is beginning to make a chirping noise when it is cold. After I drive for a few miles, the noise will subside but I should have no noise. I believe the cable in the car is the original. It has been making noise during cold weather for several years now. And, 10 or longer ago, I had a shop lubricate it because it was making noise at that time. That lubrication stopped the noise for some years but then the noise gradually came back.

I have seen cables sold by online sellers and I've lengths from 60" to 101"; 75" is one of the lengths I've found. I'm thinking 75" would be fine but thought I'd ask here whether any of you who have replaced your cable and, if so, what length is your cable?

Also, I recall that when the shop lubricated the cable, they told me the speedometer had to be accessed in the dash panel to do this. Of course, this required some labor time. But, I believe I recall reading posts here in the forum indicating the cable can be removed and lubricated or replaced without disassembling the dash panel to get to the speedometer. So, which approach is true?

Edit: Here's a cable from an auto parts store: ATP Speedometer Cable Y-916: Advance Auto Parts (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/atp-speedometer-cable-y-916/19610161-P#fragment-1) The length stated is 101".

2ndGenGuy
11-13-2015, 10:43 AM
You can pull the cluster cover off in just a few minutes, I believe its 4 screws. No need to pull the whole dash or anything. That should give you easy access to the speedo cable. As far as how long it is... er I have no idea. Last one I bought for my 2g was way too long, so I'm guessing the super long ones are kind of a one-size-fits-all deal. I'd pull out the stock one and measure it. Access isn't too hard on the 3g.