PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent power to the main relay?

jonb
11-25-2015, 01:20 PM
87 LXI Accord Fuel Injected, 375000 miles. It seems like I'm getting only intermittent power to the main relay. I've replaced the relay with a new one, new fuel filter, confirmed the fuel pump is working/fuel through the rail, new O2 sensor, new plugs/distributor cap and rotor and wires. Sometime I get the clicks in the relay and sometimes I don't. When I get the clicks she fires right up and runs good. I'm thinking it's something in the ignition switch. Any other suggestions? Spark, fuel and air is the magic combination.

jonb
11-27-2015, 02:45 PM
So, the car started yesterday and was driving fine until I simply lost power after a couple of hesitations and then it just simply shut off. Tried restarting and got nothing..no clicks from the main relay, the motor just turned over without starting. Turned off the key, turned it back to the accessories position and got a buzzing noise from the relay, kind of like a seatbelt buzzer but weaker. Tried starting it and the motor just kept turning over. Shut the key off, turned it back to the accessory position, got 3 clicks from the relay and the car started up. Let it idle for a moment and drove it home without any further issue. The buzzing noise from the relay made me think again that there is some kind of issue with power getting to the relay. Any input from anyone??? I really need this car to get back and forth from work reliably.

AccordB20A
11-27-2015, 06:14 PM
check the earth wire on the engine block. its bolts to the intake manifold if i remember correctly. the main relay grounds through it and the whole car will stop if its loose/corroded/broken

jonb
11-28-2015, 02:25 PM
THANKS AccordB20A!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!!!!! The bolt was loose so I lightly sanded the point of contact and wire terminal, tightened it and the car fired right up. Started checking the other grounds and most of them were a little corroded too so I did the same to them. I guess when it comes to electrical the first thing to do is CHECK THOSE GROUNDS!

AccordB20A
11-29-2015, 08:19 PM
awesome!

conozo
12-02-2015, 06:32 PM
]THANKS AccordB20A!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!!!!![/B] The bolt was loose so I lightly sanded the point of contact and wire terminal, tightened it and the car fired right up. Started checking the other grounds and most of them were a little corroded too so I did the same to them. I guess when it comes to electrical the first thing to do is CHECK THOSE GROUNDS!

MOY Award:beer:

"Mechanic of the Year"