PDA

View Full Version : B18C into 89 Accord LX-i

OmEgA PuLsE
01-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Was wondering if I can fit a B18C into my 89AccordLX-i or not??? I'm tryin to sell my Civic for some cash to do it. And if not a B18C, how bout a B20A? What would u guys recommend I do? Or if there's a better-suited engine within the same price range for my Accord, can u lemme know????

Sean
01-15-2003, 10:44 PM
why not mod the one in it ?

OmEgA PuLsE
01-15-2003, 11:36 PM
yeah good idea...thing is i don't know that much about engine work n all, so i figured it;d be easier ot get a whole new engine

Elijah
01-15-2003, 11:38 PM
b18:bow: :bow:

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
01-16-2003, 12:05 AM
Omega!! Power is money!! So any type of swap is gonna cost you!! But if u are really serious you do not need to get a B18C1! A cheaper more practical engine would be a B16! It's an easier engine to get and it's the easiet engine to swap into our cars! Keep this in mind! You gonna to spend about 1200 bucks to get the pieces for the engine ( Mounts, axles, Etc ) Then about another 1k on the engine maybe less..2200 bucks on parts & engine!! So think about that first before u decide 2 do anything!!

OmEgA PuLsE
01-16-2003, 12:35 AM
oh really?? Originalyl I had my mind set on a B16a but someone had sed that I'd be losing low end power in my 89 accord. know what, what the hell, as long as it's faster than it is now, cuz right now it's as fast as a mofo. And oh yeah, the reason I want an engine swap is b/c there's a loose/damaged piston ring on the engine and that alone would cost about $1500 to fix up. That's almost as much as the car's worht!! So I thought y not get a new engine. Ok, well, I guess i should stick with the B16a then, since it's nice n simple. I just don't like the fact that I can't brag about having a bigass 2.0L engine, lol...gonna be down to 1.6...ugh, isn't it DOHC tho?? Hope it's VTEC too

3rd GEN
01-16-2003, 01:04 AM
ya, it's DOHC.. but not v-tec..unless you did a vtec head swap on it..
you could also go with a b18c
thats what i'm gonna be doin once i get my Ex-i..
gonna swap in a b18 and do an LS/Vtec conversion...

YK86
01-16-2003, 01:20 AM
The B16A is DOHC vtec.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
01-16-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by YK86
The B16A is DOHC vtec.

Yea Listen to Yasu!! He the man!! Omega!! If power is what your looking for again!! I say go for the b16! I have seen a b16a 1.6 That was doing close to 200hp @ the wheels!! ( All Motor ) It took alot of money and work!! but it can happen!! Dont buy the hype b18 this and that!! yea it would be nice 2 have! But is just not practical!! unless you have the money!! then feel free!!

Sean
01-16-2003, 08:33 AM
for $1500 you could get a good start on the a20a you could get a running motor for from a jdm importer for under $700 blam running engine in your car.then you could spend say $150 or so on a cam $300 on exhuast system header ,cat back, high flow cat( which would be a cost for the b16) now you at $1100 dollars and more power then the stinky b16a. now if you add a TB or a b16a manifold from edelbrokc etc then your looking at some nice power. get the head ported polished. you could pick up more power.

point is the a20a will run well right out of the box and you can mod it. just have to be creative and think freely not everything is a bolt in but that ok bcuase the b16 isnt a bolt in either.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
01-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Sean
for $1500 you could get a good start on the a20a you could get a running motor for from a jdm importer for under $700 blam running engine in your car.then you could spend say $150 or so on a cam $300 on exhuast system header ,cat back, high flow cat( which would be a cost for the b16) now you at $1100 dollars and more power then the stinky b16a. now if you add a TB or a b16a manifold from edelbrokc etc then your looking at some nice power. get the head ported polished. you could pick up more power.

point is the a20a will run well right out of the box and you can mod it. just have to be creative and think freely not everything is a bolt in but that ok bcuase the b16 isnt a bolt in either.

Not 2 sound like a D!ck Sean!! But from what is sounds!! If he does do a swap he wont be doing it himself!! I could be wrong! But Alot of shops here on the east!! Wont swap an a20 let alone performe a swap on a 3gee!! So I suggested a B16a swap to atleast get the shop interested..But I could be wrong!! maybe he will do the swap himself!!

OmEgA PuLsE
01-16-2003, 02:21 PM
No sirrreeeeeee. I'm not doin the swap myself, shit I still haven't put in racing pedals in my car, not sure if I'd be able to do that or not...guess I'll try it. But anywho, My Civic's on sale for $2600 so I've got about that much to use for the Accord. Well, I'm not plannin on havin a penny left over with that money so if I can get a better engine for my Accord and all the parts with it, including labor fees all for $2600 or less, then I'll gladly do it. As for the part about not many ppl on the East Coast not doin engine swaps, that really sux. Looks like I'm still thinkin between a B16a and B18c. Hmm....well first I gotta sell my Civic but once it's gone, I wanna get everything done quickly since I'll be working and my college semester's gonna start Jan. 27th.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
01-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Well Dude!! When ever you decide to do anything!! Let me know!! I know a couple of places!!There might be a small meet in New Jersey in Feb!! I might go!! I don't know how far you are!! But if u have time go!! Check the meet section!

OmEgA PuLsE
01-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Wow. That place is right by my college, probably about 3-40min from here. I'd sure as hell love to be there, but not without any mods or that engine swap I want for my LX-i. Still, it'd be mad cool to see. I might be in, lemme just see what happens with my Civic. And oh yeah, thanx for the help, man. If I finally manage to get that Civic sold, then I'll let you know that I need the swap done. Again, thanx alot :D

quagmire
01-16-2003, 03:27 PM
Your not going to be able to get a b18C for $2600. And if your not going to do the swap yourself, $2600 may be pushing it to pay to have a B16a put in. Follow Sean's advice.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
01-16-2003, 03:42 PM
$2600 is enough money here ( NYC ) to get him B series engine!! 1200 for the parts needed to parts needed from pRi..that leaves 1400!! If u get the engine from the shop, the labor fee is much lower!!

quagmire
01-16-2003, 03:48 PM
He also has to buy the swap hardware (about $1500 as far as I can tell). Then he needs to pay for the installation (which will be a lot). So even if he could get a B-series for $2600, which I believe, he still has to pay for other stuff. Look at Wicked Accord, he spent $8000 for a B18C1 swap. Granted it is modified, but that rules out the VTEC B18s completely. I would say have about $4000 or so ready if your gonna pay to have a B16 put in by a shop. You never know what snags you'll run into.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
01-16-2003, 04:01 PM
The Hardware is about 12k!!!!!!!! Which leaves him about 1400 to play with!! And as for Wicked 8k!! He got robbed!! Not even turbo!! Not to shit on wicked's car cause it is nice!! But I know ppl who have more and have spent less!! It's who you know & what they can get for you!!!!

OmEgA PuLsE
01-16-2003, 04:02 PM
sorry I'm not really sure what the A20 is really. How much power would I be getting from an A-series engine, or just an A20a1 or so. I was thinking of getting a used B16a with under 10-15k mi. on it.

OmEgA PuLsE
01-16-2003, 04:05 PM
It's who you know & what they can get for you!!!!
HELL YEAH BRO!! I feel u there Matt!! NY & NJ is ALL bout da hookups, baby!!! If u don't have connections if u live in NY or NJ, then move to f**kin Alaska!!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
01-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by OmEgA PuLsE
sorry I'm not really sure what the A20 is really. How much power would I be getting from an A-series engine, or just an A20a1 or so. I was thinking of getting a used B16a with under 10-15k mi. on it.

Well a20 is the engine in the 3rd Gen Accord!! Depending which model you have! I am guessing you have an Lx-i ( a20a3 ).. As for a B series engine under 15k is not impossible but highly probable!! Most engine you buy have about 40 to 60k !! Which is good!! Remember this!! Hp cost money!! Lost of it!!! Be prepared to spend!!

OmEgA PuLsE
01-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Hmm...maybe I should start parking my Civic in my old highschool parking lot with a price tag of $3500. Maybe some loser ass kid would be interested and think that's mad cheap. Even tho the Civic's black book retail value for a 91 Civic DX in "excellent" condition is worth $3900, I still think it's too high. I've done slightly more than a major tuneup and a new exhaust, that's bout it. Guess that's enough for me to raise the price by about $200??

quagmire
01-16-2003, 04:17 PM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› : Your posts are very hard to read. Your price estimates are very optimistic.

OmEgA PuLsE: If you don't know what an A20 is, then you need to be doing some more reading on this board before attempting an engine swap. Your going to get taken otherwise.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
01-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Well Hopefully somebody will buy it!! just keep the tag on!! Maybe You'll get lucky!!

OmEgA PuLsE
01-16-2003, 04:22 PM
If you don't know what an A20 is, then you need to be doing some more reading on this board before attempting an engine swap.

Hmmm...so you're saying that this forum is only meant for the ppl that know much about cars? BS bro, I come to this board b/c I know I don't know enuff about cars, so I figure by coming here, I can get some help. :mad: ...Besides...I could've sworn that it was a B12 engine? I think I may've seen that sed under the hood, not too sure anymore. I guess I saw wrong

quagmire
01-16-2003, 04:31 PM
Not at all. All I said was that you need to read more, not that you shouldn't ask questions. What I meant was that before getting into the extensive planning that should be done before buying an engine, etc, you should do more reasearch. I didn't say that you weren't welcome on the board, nor was it implied. This board is here for people who want to learn. Chill out.

OmEgA PuLsE
01-16-2003, 05:21 PM
yeah, honestly, I think I'd rather have some opinions from more experienced and car/mechanial-oriented ppl rather than my own. Until I do learn more about cars, I'll have to keep bugging everyone on 3Geez asking what I should do, so far it's worked pretty well.

Sean
01-16-2003, 10:13 PM
keep the existing a20a3 engine. its can and does make good power but it much more with TQ then other honda engines.

maka_RTH
01-17-2003, 02:12 AM
the engie that i want to do is the B18c5, but my second choice would be the B20a, the JDm engine, more horsepower and torque with both those engines. i'll do one or the other someday. and i wouldn't do a B16a swap, but that's me. i think a B20a would be better than a B16a, and the B20a is cheaper. imo

quagmire
01-17-2003, 06:25 AM
Honestly, for what it would cost to just buy a B18C5, you could build a pretty rad A20. You could even start from a bare block and have the A20 rebuilt with forged pistons, a cam of your choice, and get some head work done.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
01-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by maka_RTH
the engie that i want to do is the B18c5, but my second choice would be the B20a, the JDm engine, more horsepower and torque with both those engines. i'll do one or the other someday. and i wouldn't do a B16a swap, but that's me. i think a B20a would be better than a B16a, and the B20a is cheaper. imo

B18c5 would be great swap!! But it will be expensive as hell! When u buy an engine of that caliber it will come with the tranny which is hydrolic!! Our cars are cable engaged! Unless you do a Hydro conversion which is a pain! I would stay away from that C5 Goodness!

MoonScryer
01-17-2003, 01:49 PM
If you are an absolute nut for something beyond the B16a...just use the B16's tranny...cable shifted.

OmEgA PuLsE
01-17-2003, 04:17 PM
hmmm ppl. So far I'm beginning to like the B16a, since it sounds the easiest, is it the cheapest? *Remember*, I just don't want too much trouble with the Accord, the troublesome stuff will be done in the Summer time.

OmEgA PuLsE
01-17-2003, 04:18 PM
Also, I appreciate the A-series ideas, but I think maybe I'd rather not. Don't know, I might definitely change my mind. It's just that I don't want much trouble modding/changing the engine. Besides, if I mod it, the labor fees will make it more costly.

maka_RTH
01-18-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by OmEgA PuLsE
hmmm ppl. So far I'm beginning to like the B16a, since it sounds the easiest, is it the cheapest? *Remember*, I just don't want too much trouble with the Accord, the troublesome stuff will be done in the Summer time.
from what i've read, the B20a is the cheapest. it's just harder to find it i guess. B16a's are a dime a dozen. but the B20a is practically a bolt on.

OmEgA PuLsE
01-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Wow, bro, u serious? But doesn't the B20a have 190hp @ like 7600RPM or somethin? Although the B16a gives u around 165 @ I think the same RPM. Is it really cheaper than the B16a?? B/c it's more powerful, I know, and is it just a bolt on as well?

Sean
01-18-2003, 10:13 AM
its cheaper to mod an a20a then install a b16. and the b20a jdm motor is 160hp but the same TQ as the a20a.its gonna be faster then a b16 for sure. tq moves the car not hp.

OmEgA PuLsE
01-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Sorry all, I'm gettin mad confused now. I know now that I have 3 choices left:
1) A20a
2) B16a
3) B20a
I can't mod an A20a since my current engine is messed up, so first I'd have to repair it, or just get a whole new engine. I'd rather prefer it stay nice n easy with the engine work right now. So then should my final choice be a B20a, since it's just a bolt in n it gives me more power than a B16a?? I guess which ever of the 2 I find first, I'll take. Well guys, thanx so much so far, but I'm really close to making my decision. Plz leave a few more of ur much-needed suggestions, u've been a great help so far.

maka_RTH
01-18-2003, 10:52 AM
well, when you get an engine, i'd suggest you get it rebuilt(or rebuild it yourself). if you're looking for lotsa aftermarket support..., then you should go with the B16a. if you're looking for a little more custom work, but more power, then i'd say go with the B20a

wickedaccord
01-18-2003, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
[B][b][color=royalblue] And as for Wicked 8k!! He got robbed!! Not even turbo!!

uh... am i missing something here?? not to talk shit.. but it was actually 7500 that i spent. and it's a fully built motor. that 7500 now includes a JDM TYPE R HEAD FLYWHEEL AND APEX VAFC. not to mention AGAIN. that the 7500 spent, was on the GSR motor,COMPLETE with ecu, shift linkage, stock mounts, and axles for 2400. i then spent 1200 on the mounts, axles, and shift linkage. so that would total 3600 for jus the motor and the items needed for the install. now total all this to add to 7500... CHIPPED ECU, TYPE R HEAD, all brand new SKUNK2 INTAKE MANIFOLD, TYPE R PISTONS, 64MM THROTTLE BODY, SKUNK2 VALVE SPRINGS AND TITANIUM RETAINERS, SKUNK2 STAGE 2 CAMS, SKUNK2 CAM GEARS, AND MSD WIRES. not only that.. ALL NEW WATER HOSES, ALL NEW GASKETS AND SEALS. not to mention SAND BLASTED AND HOT TANKED HEAD on the GSR HEAD. i practically have a brand new motor.. to last and to go fast. ive said this before.. was it worth it?? well.. i took out a 2002 GT mustang.. JAGUAR X-TYPE, BMX 330.. 98 AUTOMATIC Z28, IROC Z and the other day.. barely lost to an S2000 by a car length becuz i had 4 heads in my car. he had none. was it worth it?? helllll yea it was! ppl say i couldve bought a new car... but it's the dedication.. when i see 3geez ppl say jus sell ur car and get a prelude dohc vtec.. that's no dedication to the 3geez accord man. im proud that soon my car will be a classic in it's original form. that's y my phrase now is..STOCK IS THE BEST! which is y i now have a stock TYPE R muffler. think about it before u say, i got robbed.

PEACE
also, tha 7500 included the installation money and paying for the ecu install by JPR
:werd:

:bow: jon

RobT5580
01-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Sean, Just to correct the B20A has about 140ft lb of toque which is one of the main reasons why im doing the swap. This is the reason why i the B16 didnt appeal to me after the thought of doint it w/o the turbo cause they only have 111 ft lb of torque which sucks. As for wicked accords swap all i can say is watch the videos that are up here on the board. I just watched them at steves yesterday and it speeks for itself. If you dont have money then an engine swap is not a good idea unless you can work some good deals.

OmEgA PuLsE
01-18-2003, 03:12 PM
111 torque???? WTF! The 89Accord LX-i has 112 stock, omg man. I want more moving power, not just power for the hell of it that can't be used. Guess i'm stuck with B20A???

RobT5580
01-18-2003, 03:49 PM
All swaps have pros and cons you just have to figure out how much your willing to spend and what your mechanic ability is cause some things will be expensive if a shop does the work for you. I was stuck on turbos for a long time and came very very close to having a B20A setup but that fell through and i now realize that i want a more streetable and cost effective swap for now cause im still not done with school. Not that my B20A swap is gonna be cheap but i can subtract at least 3k.

Sean
01-18-2003, 05:09 PM
im buildoing turbo A20a both justin and i are finishing up the GM hardware. it drastically lowers the cost of going turbo but making engine management cheap.

BensAccordLxi
01-18-2003, 05:35 PM
I dyno tested my old b16 and it didn't have much less low end than the A20 did. Now the Hp was about double at the wheels. It went from 96hp to 176hp. That swap costed me $4,300. That included the motor, tranny, install, Mugen ECU, ACT clutch, OBX header and full exhaust. The also Dyno tested and tuned the car to get as much hp as they could.