PDA

View Full Version : Front-end Damage! (56K Users Beware)

DigitaLuminescence
01-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Okay, I've finally got the pics off my digital camera. I wanted to see what everyone thought. It really sucks to get into an accident (especially when it's not your fault but the insurance company says it is... damn Pemco).

A few months ago I got into a fight with a concrete highway barrier really late at night (or maybe it was early, I can't remember). I'm guessing you can tell who won the brawl, no? I was avoiding something large after I made a turn off of a highway overpass onto a lower street in Seattle. I missed something that could have potentially been alive or damaged the car further and instead went into the barrier. What made it worse is that I recieved a particularly nasty message from Pemco a week later saying that if I didn't get it fixed and keep it reported with their company, I could get sued by the state. :wtf: BULLSHIT! It was a fucking concrete barrier, dammit! Stupid money-greedy sons-of-bitches.

Here's the pics of the aftermath:

http://home.attbi.com/~jdenkers/accord_damage01.jpg

http://home.attbi.com/~jdenkers/accord_damage02.jpg

DAMAGED: Front Bumper (crack on driver side, scuffed off paint and some pock-marks), Front Driver Side Fender (totally fucked up, was told to just buy a new one because it would be less expensive), Hood (also told to just buy a new one, rust forming)

DESTROYED: Original Headlight Unit (though, it was fixed), Windsheild Washer Fluid Reservoir (never used it anyway), Fog Light Wiring Kit (severed wires), Turn Signal Lense.

FIXED: Bumper Braces (primary and secondary), Driver Side Headlight (but need to get a new motor eventually), Bumper Turn Signal, Fog Lamp Wiring Kit.

Any advice on fixing it?

I was told that I would need a paintjob regardless of the fixed components because no two paintjobs of the same paint code are the same. Damn. :mad:

And I've got a new OEM unpainted front bumper (25 dollars at a junkyard), but it's for a hatchback so I don't know if it will work. Looks like it might, but I'm unsure.

Well, that's that.

DigitaLuminescence
01-15-2003, 07:26 PM
Here's what it looked like before the accident:

http://home.attbi.com/~jdenkers/accord-before_damage_copy.jpg

It WAS perfect. Now it's not so perfect. :mad: :mad: :mad:

DigitaLuminescence
01-15-2003, 07:40 PM
A peice of info that I forgot to put in was that my present bumper does not go on very nicely becuase the clip that holds the bumper to the frame is bent in (not on the crash side, though).

How should I go about bending it back out? Heating it with a blowtorch will damage the surrounding areas, and I can't hammer it out; these were the only idea that I had.

(Hey, that's cool... I'm a DX user now! :D)

87accordHB
01-15-2003, 08:40 PM
BONDO!!!!!!! :) at least you didnt lose your side lenses..those are 60 bucks each at auto zone. I say just go to a junk hard and get one off another and get it painted:) or bondo it. At least urs isnt as bad as mine. I lost my whole front bumper :(

maka_RTH
01-15-2003, 09:48 PM
ouchh..., poor thing! i'd say look around to see how much a new hood and/or fender would be from the junker. although if the hood is just paint chipped and the rust, you could have that fixed pretty easily. i found someone who will fix my rust for real cheap, if not free, and he's good at it too

Mike89Accordcom
01-15-2003, 10:09 PM
Ouch. Positive thing is it can look brandnew again.

DigitaLuminescence
01-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by maka_RTH
ouchh..., poor thing! i'd say look around to see how much a new hood and/or fender would be from the junker. although if the hood is just paint chipped and the rust, you could have that fixed pretty easily. i found someone who will fix my rust for real cheap, if not free, and he's good at it too

I went to a huge junkyard outside of town and the prices that they gave me were:

Fender: something like 45 dollars with one small dent, 60 for a new/used fender that looks pretty nice.
Hood: 75 to 90 dollars depending on how it looks, but they can order hoods too, but I don't want to wait a long time and spend $120.

The Honda dealership is selling them at $145 for each peice. You'd think that the fender would be a little less expensive, though. If I wanted a new bumper (+components) it would be something like $180. I don't want to spend close to 500 dollars for stuff like that. Too much money.

I was told to get a new hood because besides the rust, it's also bent and it doesn't sit properly because the brackets are damaged. And they also said that bondo-ing the fender would be more costly than just buying a new one and getting it painted at Maaco (less work).
___

Heh heh, thanks Mike... it can look new again. (Good optimistic thinking)! :D

87accordHB
01-16-2003, 02:24 PM
well what ever comes outta it bro.. Goodluck. junk yard seems the best way. as for you bumper..i got a quote for 75 bucks for bumper +components ,lights, reinforcement and brackets and all that. i would just get a front end body kit and get it fitted. Good luck!

johndej
01-16-2003, 03:58 PM
you show that barrier whos boss. oh well, good luck w/ getting that fixed, i'd say along w/ everyone else that a junk yard would be the best bet.

DigitaLuminescence
01-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by johndej
you show that barrier whos boss. oh well, good luck w/ getting that fixed, i'd say along w/ everyone else that a junk yard would be the best bet.

Hell yeah, I fucked that barrier up... oh.... wait.... no I didn't. I didn't even take chunk of concrete out as a souvenir. Damn. :mad:

Oh well. I guess it's off to Barlows I go, once I get money. Then to that place that Mike (Mr89AccordLXI) got his paint job, can't remember the name.

Thanks for the comments guys!

87accord
01-18-2003, 10:12 PM
WEll think of it like this> It could be alot worse!:D