PDA

View Full Version : removing back seats

89AccordHatch
01-16-2003, 01:08 AM
my friend suggested i remove the back seats of my hatch since i never have more than 1 other person in my car at a time. your opinions?

Elijah
01-16-2003, 02:41 AM
Well if you never have anybody back there toss it toss the panels back there toss everythimg you find back there every 100 pounds is a tenth of a second.So I was told.

Mantis88LX
01-16-2003, 08:06 AM
since u have a hatch, go ahead and do it. i would but i have a 4 door and it would look stupid to open the rear door and see no seat.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Mantis is right. It isn't much weight to lose anyways. The stuff is foam so it doesn't weigh much. If you want a good weight reduction that is good and healthy go on a diet. Good for racing and you. :)

3G Jester
01-16-2003, 08:55 AM
well...id say remove em if you want a custom look...but make sure u got carpeting or somthing going over the space.

if u want weight reduction for racing, then strip EVERYTHING, plastic, carpets, seats yadda yadaa yadaa..ANNNNDDDD make sure u got some balls under the hood. other wise.....dont go for it. might look silly. bt if u take em out and it looks/feels good--go for it

Mike's89AccordLX
01-16-2003, 11:10 AM
Yeah Jester has the right idea. At least it would look somewhat good still.

dXsquared
01-16-2003, 12:32 PM
leave the bottom seat in... it makes it look smoother!

Travis

BensAccordLxi
01-16-2003, 02:55 PM
It works if you are at the strip lookin to shave of time. I took out the back seats and all the interior from the back plus took off the hood and droped a few 10ths of a second off my time. My frinds stock 94 integra ls with no back seat and no hood ran a 15.5
That's almost a complete second off his quarter mile time.

1987HondaAccord
01-16-2003, 04:04 PM
I took out the back seats while i was moving my battery to the trunk. It felt a little faster without all of that extra weight back there. But if you do this, you deffinately need some carpet or sound proofing material. I could hear my fuel pump running while i was stoped.

AccordEpicenter
01-16-2003, 09:27 PM
because you have a hatch, go for it, ditch that seat!. Maybe you guys should take the seats apart because there is a fair amount of steel in them, not just foam (theyre heavy). The bottom cusions are pretty much all foam but the seatback and everything else isnt. Im not taking mine out because I have a 4 door, im just working on other weight reduction methods.

iloveJDMblackrims69
01-17-2003, 09:18 AM
ASK THIS TO NATE!!!!!! hes an expert at back seats.....well thats what his boy said...GO NATE THE ALIEN!!!!!

Mike's89AccordLX
01-17-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by 1987HondaAccord
It felt a little faster without all of that extra weight back there.
I really doubt you felt anything. I think it was all in your head. When you feel a performance gain, it's usually is like at least 5hp. If it's any hp less you won't feel it. So I highly doubt removing your back seat would give you a noticible gain. Unless you had your backseat full of stuff like a washer and dryer or something. If you took those out you'd feel a nice gain without those. :D

PhydeauX
01-17-2003, 11:06 AM
It depends what you want to do with the car. When I bought my jetta and decided that the accord was going to be solely my racecar I riped out the back, sound insulation, spare, etc. Every little bit helps. For eveything I took out it might have been 100lbs. Once I decide which class the car is going to be run in, its kinda sitting on the border of street prepaired and street mod, I'll decide if the rest will come out. More then likely it will go to sm and lose everything but the upper dash board and front seats, then gain a full cage which will negate any weight it lost, but gain some rigidity. When you're racing and every 10th counts then its probalby a good idea, for a street car its not really worth it. The road noise is greatly increaced, its not practicle, and it doesn't exactly look nice. Unless you have some form of supersensitive ass you'll never feel the gains from this, and unless you're a really good driver you could attribute any improvements in time to luck as much as weight reduction.

andy

Mr. Tapeworm
01-20-2003, 02:07 AM
^^^^Yeah, I wouldn't do it unless the car was specifically for racing and I never drove it around.

AccordEpicenter
01-20-2003, 09:49 AM
i just lost over a 120lbs from my trunk by taking out the subs/amp/box and lemme tell you that car is a hella lot faster when all that crap isnt in there, and it handles better too.

smufguy
01-20-2003, 10:01 AM
the road noice is too much without the back seats. I am running my car with no seats now and its awful at highway speeds.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-20-2003, 10:04 AM
Well I just made a decision the other day, when I get a new car my 3G is going to be strictly a full blown race car like A20A1 if you need a visual idea. I'm getting a custom cam, custom pistons, and nitrious. And my hood scoop is going on soon too. Too lazy to put it on right now. My car should be able to compete on the track then. After I tune the engine again and get everything stripped out but one seat. Getting a sparco put in for my seat with 5 point harness. This will all be happening within a year hopefully (depends when I get my new car)

Toby
01-22-2003, 07:46 AM
take it out. I took mine out for a while but itjust looked wierd because I have a 4 door. but you got a hatch so rip that sucker out.

buzzbomber88lx
04-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Do it. it would be like a crx sort of. And while your at it take the sawzall and cut the top off! j/k. The interior of a car(especially seats) is the first thing to take out for weight reduction because they are pointless for drag racing. that is if that is what you are wanting to take them out for.

HondaBoy
04-05-2003, 11:29 PM
i think i might look alrite. if u seen like corvettes, some RX-7s, some times the old Z cars. the way i has no back seat, but still looks good cuz the carpet is done over it. thats wut u shoud do. i think i would look cool. but yeah, its not much of a weight reduction. maybe thats why 3geez are pretty lite to begin with.

smufguy
04-06-2003, 08:30 AM
the rear seat feels lighter than ur battery. and removing it is not weight reduction, cause its just feeing up space and u aint gonna go any faster. u might feel ur car going fast, but it aint. :cool:

bobafett
04-09-2003, 09:00 PM
rear seats dont weight much. but if you GUT everything from the front seats back u might get 60 lbs, which is worthwhile. i may actually tear up my car tomorrow, i havent decided yet...

but since i have a hatch it would look ok!