PDA

View Full Version : please help!

LX-i dragon
01-16-2003, 05:08 AM
got an 87 LX i. my water pump want out, do i have to take the engine out to replace the pump? please give guidance:bow:

njpeter
01-16-2003, 07:33 AM
but general advice is to change the timing belt too..do a thread search, plenty of info on this job. First step?..go and get a couple of 6 point 10mm sockets at sears (long and short)..some latex gloves and a good work light.

word is OEM honda pumps are the only way to go.

cruznz
01-16-2003, 12:03 PM
latex gloves??????????????

njpeter
01-16-2003, 12:09 PM
changing a water pump/timing belt is a really messy job..us older guys have more porus skin..that crap gets in and stays in for days. Cheaper then hand cleaner and you don't track greasy crap into your house. When I work with gas, I wear two pairs..gives you a little edge before your real skin gets sliced by a sharp edge too.

LX-i dragon
01-18-2003, 04:21 AM
hey thanks for the feedback mates.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-18-2003, 05:34 AM
Hmm... never thought about wearing two gloves on one hand before. I suppose it would prevent some cuts and stuff. I have a whole box of latex gloves. (mom works at hospital :D) I don't like grease staying on my hands for days at a time.

cruznz
01-18-2003, 11:13 AM
hmmm....well,i aint no spring chicken..lol....s'pose gloves would be ok if a real dirty/messy job....undoing nuts'n bolts maybe abit awkward at times if gloves get sticky 'n greasey.....

njpeter
01-18-2003, 11:48 AM
if you are over twisting, the will just tear..and the liittle bits of rubber save your real skin. Tests claim that contact with used oils can cause skin cancer..I didn't give a rat when I was 20..but now I can't really stand the smell of it on my hands after doing a job.

Power coated ones are better...and they come in different thickness too..give it a try..you got nuthin to lose...cept some skin :-)

we are after all..doctors of some bizzare type

cruznz
01-18-2003, 12:11 PM
might just save the ear bashing from the wife too....hahahaha....