PDA

View Full Version : C.v joints boot !

ACCORD EX
01-17-2003, 03:15 PM
today i was checking my suspension ! and i noticed that my passenger's side outer C.v joint boot is slightly ripped !
so i said no problem , but when i looked at my haynes , WOW !!! i have to take everything apart even the joints thems selves ! is this true guys ! do you have any other ideas ??
it's a slight rip ! can i glue it ?

MIKE

1987HondaAccord
01-17-2003, 03:27 PM
i had the same problem, except the boot was completely ripped. It was fun taking the ball joint off :lol I replaced the whole front axle instead of redoing the cv joint.

ACCORD EX
01-17-2003, 04:43 PM
well my joint is in good shape ! i don't intend to spend that much of cash now for a new axles !

MIKE

ACCORD EX
01-18-2003, 12:23 AM
ok i searched the internet for a while and found out that i can only seperate the puter joint ( after releasing the snap ring in it ! ) then i can remove the boot ! can this be done on our cars ?
please help guys !

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
01-18-2003, 01:55 AM
I remember when my mechanic said my cv boot was ripped. All he did was lube the thing and glued it shut. My CV joints are totally going out. I don't know if I should get a cam or get cv joints. What can go wrong if the cv joint go?

Mantis88LX
01-18-2003, 09:33 AM
just alot of noise when turning i think. if u wait along time u will have to replace the whole joint and not just the boot

SiR
01-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
What can go wrong if the cv joint go?

You car wont be going anywhere when that breaks. It'll be like reving in neutral.

ACCORD EX
01-18-2003, 12:16 PM
ok after after doing more and more research :D ! i found out the outer C.v joint - driveaxle are one part ! and onlu the inner CV joints can be seperated to change them or change the boot !
i have just one question ! how to seperate the C.V joint houseing to get to the spider with the rollers !

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
01-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Well they have been clicking for 2 years now (now it's just getting bad though) So there's 2 cv joints I would have to buy. (driverside and passenger side) Dam I gotta find some new ones for cheap b/c I don't really want to wait for another group buy for my custom cam.

Dutchboy
01-18-2003, 04:14 PM
there are some replacement boots that you can get that are split and you must get a glue with it or something....((never used the split ones myself...i always take them apart to clean and re grease))

just ask the parts store about the cv boots and what they have available...if you buy a split one then you dont have to take the cv off or anything...jsut crawl underneath and your good.

BEn:)

1987HondaAccord
01-19-2003, 01:37 PM
just do the whole axle! it is sooo much simpler than taking the taking apart the cv joint, repacking it, and then hoping you didnt forget anything. It is much quicker and isn't that much more expensive.

ACCORD EX
01-19-2003, 01:43 PM
well axles cost an arm and a leg around here !
so a small question !

it is said in the service manual that you have to adjust the shaft length after installing the boots ! what does that mean ????
another thing how do you get the DYNAMIC DAMPER off from the right axle MT ( the short one )

pleeeeeeease guys help !

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2003, 01:49 PM
I have a friend that installed my brothers cv joints for a $100. So I'll got that route. Didn't take him very long at all either.

ACCORD EX
01-19-2003, 02:01 PM
i want to do it my self MIKE ! :flip:

MIKE

ACCORD EX
01-20-2003, 12:29 PM
pleeeeeeeeeease help ! here is the queation again !

" it is said in the service manual that you have to adjust the shaft length after installing the boots ! what does that mean ????
another thing how do you get the DYNAMIC DAMPER off from the right axle MT ( the short one ) "

pleeeeeeease guys help

MIKE

Dutchboy
01-20-2003, 03:39 PM
i looked at my damper and it is held on by a clamp just like the ones on the cv boots...

and i can twist it so i guess the thing slides off after you take the clamp off!

as for adjsuting the shaft lenght.....you cant...they move out and in so i wouldnt have a clue to why it would say that in the service manual......
ive never heard or done that before when ive done cv boots/

Ben

ACCORD EX
01-21-2003, 01:06 PM
thanx a lot BEN ! :)

MIKE