PDA

View Full Version : 88 LXI wont stop revving

5 Speed Speeder
01-08-2016, 04:44 PM
i was driving today, everything was gravy. car was sounding great, my idle was spot on.... then i shift from third to fourth and in mid shift my car goes WOT and stays around 7k rpm until i realized what the fuck was going on and turned off the car(maybe for a second or two). i checked everything and there are no disconnected lines or anything like that. i waited a few minutes and started it up and it revved up again so i shut it off before it reached redline. does anybody have any idea what i should be looking for? im not sure if its a massive vacuum leak or some sensor that went out, or maybe my pedal broke, maybe even the cruise control? i didnt have any of my tools with me so i wasnt able to do much where i broke down.

background info: car is 88 lxi-completely stock a20a3 with 307,000 miles on it, manual transmission. engine was rebuilt 15,000 miles ago(so i was told)

2oodoor
01-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Under the hood on the driver side there are a few clip fasteners that hold the throttle cable, cruise and clutch cable housings, make sure tue clutch cable is independant of the others. Ive seen these tie wrapped together and what happens is when the clutch is pushed in it pulls on the throttle because well both cables flex slightly to more than slightly when used.
Also check the throttle cable for rust inside the housing.

MessyHonda
01-10-2016, 11:26 AM
sounds like the Throttle is stuck open. visually inspect it and use some carb cleaner to clean and lubercate the plate.

5 Speed Speeder
01-10-2016, 04:03 PM
it turned out to be a super easy fix. to my credit it was nighttime and i didnt have a screwdriver so it was hard to get to the throttle butterfly because of the intake clamps...but the next day i took off the intake and found that a piece of plastic had broken off the intake and lodged itself under the butterfly, opening the throttle. i really dodged a big one there. i'm real glad the piece didnt make its way into the block. i'm on the market for a new intake tube.