PDA

View Full Version : Hang on or say goodbye? (87 LX-i)

ewilen
01-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Hello, first-time poster here. I reckon this would be the place to get some advice on what to do with my '87 Accord LX-i sedan (automatic with 160k on it). Good cosmetic condition inside & out, drives very nicely. A few years ago the radiator developed a leak and I decided to mothball it and just do minimum maintenance, however it's getting more & more troublesome to keep it registered due to CA smog requirements.

Aside from the radiator, there are a few other problems:

PGM-FI light is on (this is new).
Temperature gauge shoots to the top when the key is turned, even if the car's completely cold (something I've seen in a few threads here).
There are a couple oil leaks, neither of them serious according to my mechanic, can't remember the details.
Last time I had the car smogged, I was told that there might be a leak in the exhaust system--the technician said there was difficulty developing enough pressure for the test to work (?) although it did pass.

Now, one way or another there are state/local government programs that would give me $1000 to scrap the car...but I'd rather not, if I can recoup some of the repair costs should I eventually sell. (I don't have the time/skills to do much if any of the work myself.) Esp. if the radiator's replaced, I'd enjoy having it as a city runabout.

Or I could try to find someone handier than me who'll buy it in "non-running" condition.

What do you all think? Is the state's offer too good to refuse?

MessyHonda
01-10-2016, 11:36 AM
I hate to see a good car go to the junkyard or even get sold to the state because they want you to buy a newer car. The radiator is an easy job. I got one off ebay from 115 dollars for a name brand but you can always just get a no name brand radiator and replace it. Is your car automatic or manual? we have a few members here from the bay area including my self.

ewilen
01-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your your reply. It's an automatic. And some good news--it passed the smog test last weekend. So now I have better options than I thought I might. I'll PM you with more info.

nastytee
01-21-2016, 02:03 AM
Keep it! You can have those easily repaired.

ewilen
01-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Update on this: replacing the radiator solved the temp gauge issue, but after driving the car for a while I started to notice a slight smell that made me feel funny. Visit to a mechanic revealed a cracked head gasket. So it went back into mothballs. See https://www.3geez.com/forum/sale/138581-[sf-bay-area]-1987-accord-sedan-lx-i-available-dismantlers.html for follow-up.

AC439
01-24-2018, 01:45 PM
I used the Bar's HG-1 head gasket fix since Nov and its been holding up well and I am still driving it today. I could not imagine seeing my Accord going to a scrap yard or in a car press.

Honda#1
01-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Good job! Don't let it go to the junkyard!