PDA

View Full Version : another problem!

MrBen
01-17-2003, 10:48 PM
I asked this once before but no one replied to it since it was in a diferent category.

I have a manual transmission. when I shift, say from 1st to 2nd, my steering wheel will move slightly from left to right. It does it in every gear, and I also noticed, when it is in gear, and I take my foot off the gas pedal and then put it back down, it moves slightly from side to side. I've had it checked out and the mechanic says things are okay, but it bugs me, what's going on :rant:

socal3rdgen
01-17-2003, 10:51 PM
i notice this when i got my stage 1 clutch. but it just has to do with increased grip. but you have a DX so i have no clue. sorry bro.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-17-2003, 11:20 PM
well since you don't have a lsd tranny both front wheels aren't going to be spinning. That means there's going to be a pull from one side. It does the same on my 89 LX too.

Elijah
01-17-2003, 11:27 PM
Try shifting a little ezer it should help

MrBen
01-18-2003, 12:30 AM
What changed to make this happen? It didnt do it before. A friend has an 88 Accord LX and hers doesn't do it. I even went to a tire place and had them rotated/balanced and the bearings checked. Someone said if my tranny and engine mounts are loose that will happen.

SiR
01-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Sounds like it could be the balljoints and/or tie-rods. I bet more on the tie-rods. Check for looseness on both of those on each side.

MrBen
01-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Already checked and it was fine

SiR
01-18-2003, 01:02 AM
I had the same problem as you, my upper and lower were more then shot, and the left tie-rod was shot. replaced those, problem gone.

MrBen
01-18-2003, 01:04 AM
The mechanic checked it out, the whole front end, he said everything was tight and nothing was bad.

SiR
01-18-2003, 01:15 AM
Im also going to assume that your tire pressure are good and the front alignment are good. Might be tranny mounts, but im lose to what it could be then. dragging brakes? im just tossing up ideas.

MrBen
01-18-2003, 01:50 AM
Yes and I don't know about alignment. Another thing is when I am on the freeway, Holding the wheel still against my knee, the car will suddently wander off to the left or right. When I brake it goes to the right. There are no noises associated with a front end problem when it does it (i.e. a thump). New tires on the front, newly blanced, Ive even rotated fronts to backs, backs to fronts and the problem is the same. No bumps in tires. New brakes (few months old), new rotors. I notice though, that sometimes when I shift and I let the clutch out too fast, it jumps like any car would, but I cant hear a thumpish sound. The same occurs when I brake suddenly. I told the mechanic this and he was unable to hear it of course. I know when I was replacing the brakes the caliper on the left side had a gasket that was pretty well chewed up but I put it on anyway. The brakes have been inspected though on numerous occasions and they say its fine.

SiR
01-18-2003, 09:25 AM
I had the same thing on the highway too, the wheel wanders left and right.

AZmike
01-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by AccordSiR
I had the same thing on the highway too, the wheel wanders left and right.

You can reduce your car's tendancy to wander by increasing the caster next time you get an alignment. Do you have the sheet from the last time that you got an alignment?

SiR
01-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
You can reduce your car's tendancy to wander by increasing the caster next time you get an alignment. Do you have the sheet from the last time that you got an alignment?

It dosent wander now, before it did when the balljoints and tie-rods were shot. Now its very, very little. I just got my aliment done 5 days ago too.
Left caster is at 1.1 degrees.
Right caster is at 1.3 degrees.

accord_lx_86
01-19-2003, 06:09 PM
thats also known as torque steer....it happens more on automatic cars that are front wheel drive...i remember reading a thread on it in here somewhere

MrBen
01-19-2003, 11:36 PM
How does that apply to a manual