PDA

View Full Version : question on fuse blowing

socal3rdgen
01-18-2003, 10:28 AM
i have a friend that needs help. i know its not in the off-topic but this is a audio question. please help. hes a list of 2 situtions:

2 10" subs - 1 is 100 what, the other is 350 watt

pioneer 200 watt 2 channel amp.

now when he hooked it up it blows everytime. now when i even hookit it up it blows when i do it too. and ive hooked plenty of systems up before.

second sitution:

2 10" subs - 1 is 100 what, the other is 350 watt

(unkown type of amp) 100 watt 2 channel amp

now when he hooks this one up it works but obviously sounds shitty because its only 50 watts perchannel.

so my question is why does the amp allways blow in the first situation. he does have a inline fuse near the battery and his grouind is nice and secure.

87DXHatch
01-18-2003, 11:16 AM
That's an indication that the amp is blown. I can't remember exactly which part of needs replaced when it blows fuses all the time, but I'm sure that it's the amp itself, not the wiring.

Looks like he needs to get it repaired or get a new amp...

:sadwave:

socal3rdgen
01-18-2003, 11:30 AM
thanks thats what i was thinking but i just need reassurance. he got it at a trade show so hes pretty much SOL. thanks for the help.

87DXHatch
01-18-2003, 11:41 AM
That's an indication that the amp is blown. I can't remember exactly which part of needs replaced when it blows fuses all the time, but I'm sure that it's the amp itself, not the wiring.

Looks like he needs to get it repaired or get a new amp...

:sadwave:

Bobs89LXi
01-19-2003, 02:01 PM
There is another possibility here. How are your subs wired? If they are in parallel, there is a possibility the combined impedence is lower than the rated power of the 200 watt amp. If they are, attempt to re-wire them in series. If the fuse continues to blow, then you probably have a blown output driver(s) There is one rule of thumb I go by as far as matching amps with subs: ALWAYS use subs that are rated higher than the peak power of the amp. Then there is no way to blow a sub or fry the amp.

goldyaccord
01-19-2003, 02:58 PM
Is it possible maybe he needs a bigger fuse?

I had a problem when the inline fuse would blow after a while. I believe it was a 25 amp.

What I did was Upgrade the fuse to an 100 amp I think. I just know i had to get it at a stereo shop. I put it in and never had problems.

Bob is right. ALways get subs that are rated higher than the amps output.

:D

AccordEpicenter
01-22-2003, 10:32 AM
i could use 80 amp fuses with my 1200d, so a 100 amp fuse would be killer. Usually when it blows fuses as soon as you hook it up the power supply section in the amp is blow/shorted. Somtimes its an easy fix, most of the time its not unless you seriously know what youre doing. Its easier to blow subs with a smaller amp than a bigger one, because if you want it to go louder, with the smaller amp youd have a greater chance of clipping. Always get more amp than you need, clipping and heavy distortion ruin subs, not alot of clean power.

meanaccord
01-24-2003, 11:19 AM
Running them in parallel doesnt have anything to do ith blowing power wire fuses, the most that would do is blow the fuse in the amp or put it in protect mode, you have either a wire touching somewhere metal or you are pulling too much power throgh that fuse. what guage is it?

Sm0kin
01-24-2003, 12:36 PM
do ya think that if you run 2 subs in parralel , the amp would pull more power????i have to agree that the amp has prob been burnt. other possibilities are to small a fuse(check manual for rating), or even a bad ground or loose connection.

Sm0kin
01-24-2003, 12:38 PM
sorry looking back on the original question I would say buy a new amp.

joshuabrack99
01-28-2003, 10:47 AM
does the fuse have enough amp rateing to carry the current- that is the true question- on my system I have 250 amp main fuse and then 80 amp fuses on my inline fuse block and then the amps them selves have there own fuses on them

AccordEpicenter
02-01-2003, 10:33 PM
well unless youre powering an amp well over 1000w then what you have is fine, if not overkill. 250 amps is alot, you wont burn that one out, and I doubt youll burn those 80 amp ones either. You dont need fuses on a distribution block, but you do need one right off the battery for your system.