PDA

View Full Version : New exhaust...

88accordlxcarb
01-18-2003, 11:25 AM
How bout this for my exhaust. Keep in mind i dont want it loud at ALL! With my old stock system when i carry people in the back seat around 2000 rpms they almost die it is so loud. I DONT WANT THIS!!

Here are the specs:

Pacesetter Header(130$)
Custom cat-back 2/1/4 pipe(100?)
Dynomax Super Turbo (34$)
Hi-flo cat(100?)
resonator(??????)
Cheap Tip(20$)

I have a couple of newbie questions i could not find the answer for when i looked at some old threads. The exactly is a resonator and where is it located? :confused: I do want this because i read it helps the sounds become quieter. When i say the term "cat-back", is new piping going from my header(which will soon be a pacesetter) to the muffler, or is there another term for this?

Will my stock cat fit on the 2/1/4 pipe? Is it worth it just to use that?

Thanks

Jason :)

Whitehonda
01-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Hahahaha!!!! I had the same problem. Too damn loud!!!!!! I have a DC Sports header, a high flow cat, Pacesetter catback exaust (with chopped off muffler, and a Borla on there now) I highly reccomend a resonator. I had a strait pipe, instead of my new high flow cat. I can tell you it was too damn loud and annoying. So get a high flow cat, and have a resionator welded inline to keep the noise down.

To answer the question about "cat~back" it's just that, the piping from the back end of the cat~converter out towards the muffler. The stock resinator is located right behind the cat in the stock setup. It is just a resinated pipe (insulated) to supress sound. I would reccomend getting the higher flow cat, just because it's new, and has got a better flow.

Cameron

A20A1
01-18-2003, 11:54 AM
no need to keep the resonator

get a silencer, go with aerospeed bomb... or some other tunable muffler.

Whitehonda
01-18-2003, 12:45 PM
I was not saying keep the old resonator, just to have a new one welded inline somewhere on the new piping. I am gona do that sometime soon, mine is still a little loud for my tastes.

Cameron

Mike's89AccordLX
01-18-2003, 12:51 PM
I have pacesetter headers, straight pipe, custom exhaust, Arospeed bomber series tunable muffler. And yes it's loud as hell but the power is worth it.

88accordlxcarb
01-18-2003, 01:14 PM
Well because of emissions i have to have a cat.

Where do i go to buy a new resonator? Any online, or is my best bet to get one online?

Jason :stick:

Whitehonda
01-18-2003, 01:26 PM
To be honest, I would check with a few local exaust shops. I don't know of any place onlie you can get one. I am sure there is one, but I don't know one.

Cameron

Mike's89AccordLX
01-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Don't they have resonators where you can buy dynomax turbo mufflers? Like for $30 or something?

smufguy
01-18-2003, 05:10 PM
you dont need a resonator if ur going on custom cat back or full exhaust. The muffler you choose will do it for you. i run on oem muffler with no resonator and its quiet. Just get a tunable muffler if u can spare an extra cash and dont go crazy on the muffler, choose one that fits your budget and your engine.