PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt broke, what now??

87rustbucket
01-26-2016, 02:19 PM
I was driving at about 70 mph and then all of the sudden the engine died, pulled over at a loss at what just happen. when I got the car home checked the timing belt and sure enough the belt was gone. I hoping I got lucky and nothing other than the timing belt broke or got damaged. If I got lucky what do I do now?? replace the belt and do I need to do anything to reset the timing?? I really need my car back since I drive to school and deliver pizzas with my car part time.

conozo
01-26-2016, 02:43 PM
Sure, put a new belt on. Take the 1st spark plug out and put the engine on TDC (top dead center) by looking to see if the cylinder is up through the hole, then do the same with the valve gear/valves. Put the new belt on. Youll probably need to adjust the timing as the old belt was probably really stretched and the new one wont be.

The hardest thing you'll have to do is break the pulley bolt loose, borrow an impact wrench or get a huge cheater/breaker bar.

87rustbucket
01-26-2016, 02:45 PM
how do you adjust the timing?

conozo
01-26-2016, 02:50 PM
Download the shop manual for detailed instructions but youll need a timing light, but basically you use the timing light to see if the TDC mark on the flywheel is within the acceptable range of other marks on the tranny housing. To adjust it, you loosen the distributor and rotate it little by little till its good. First step is to get the belt on and see if it runs fine, i think it will.

Edit: actually you dont need to take the spark plug out, you use the flywheel timing mark to determine if the engine is on TDC

Shop manual post (http://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-accords/25137-1986-1989-accord-shop-manual-updated.html)

87rustbucket
01-26-2016, 02:57 PM
Thanks

Demon1024
01-26-2016, 09:47 PM
If you remove the dizzy cover it makes it easier if you need "help" finding tdc on compression stroke. You can fine tune once belt is in right position

87rustbucket
01-30-2016, 06:52 PM
Got it fixed, put a new timing belt on and she runs just fine. Still pulls to redline. However the lower timing belt cover got melted when the timing belt broke and got jammed in the bottom. So if anyone has a spare lower timing cover. Did a make shift repair but a new one would be nice as they don't sell them any more.

conozo
01-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Awesome job on the repair. Most people would have quit and gotten another car.

Fixedit
02-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Are these A20's not an interference engine?

MessyHonda
02-06-2016, 12:04 AM
same thing happen to my uncles 89 accord. driving and the car just died. put on a new belt ad it ran till he junked it. as long as the belt does not go when you are in redline the valves should not hit the top of the pistons.

87rustbucket
02-06-2016, 11:17 AM
When my belt went I didn't realize that it was the timing belt and tried to start it after it died and cranked it quite a few times, so I don't think so. Runs today like nothing ever happen, in fact probably runs better because it now has a new belt.

Fixedit
02-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Good to know, makes me feel better about it

carotman
02-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Are these A20's not an interference engine?

I "think" they are at some point. If the camshaft is positionned where the valves are fully extended, it could result in bent valves. However, the pressure from the valve springs will usually move the cam a bit where it's stuck in a "in between" state, resulting in no engine damage.

Fixedit
02-09-2016, 11:57 AM
That makes sense. I'm so glad I bought a 3g when I did and got into them