PDA

View Full Version : [Honda] 1989 Accord Lxi Intake Manifold installation problem

Haruden
01-26-2016, 06:25 PM
I pulled the head off of my Fuel Injected 89 Accord Lxi and replaced the head gasket.

When removing the head I removed the intake manifold nuts (fun : P) & unbolted the head from the block & slid the head forward to get it separated from the intake manifold. I had also removed the bolts from the bracket underneath the intake manifold.

When I reinstalled the head I pushed the intake manifold back with a pry bar, bolted & torqued the head down, & then tried to install the intake manifold onto the studs. However, I can't get enough movement or clearance to get the intake manifold aligned & back onto the head studs. The part of the intake manifold where the EGR pipe attaches hits against a mounting bracket attached to the block & firewall not allowing me to align it up with the studs on the head.

What is the best way to resolve this problem?

1. Pull the head again, redo the head gasket and try to put the manifold onto the head studs before bolting the head down ?
2. Pull the bracket that attaches the block to the firewall so that I have more room to move the intake manifold onto the studs ?
3. Completely disassemble the intake manifold and reinstall it ?

Or is there some other trick to getting it back onto the studs ? Thanks for any constructive suggestions.

conozo
01-26-2016, 07:32 PM
I think you did a good job telling us whats going on but i'm still having a hard time understanding wht the firewall is not allowing you to align it up. My guess is that since you used a pry bar to move the intake, you bent the two brackets that support the intake underneath and bent the EGR pipe (if that was still connected. If thats the case, then maybe you need to unbolt the two brackets from the back of the engine block to allow the intake to move. You can do this from underneath the car. It may be easier to bend the brackets back after the intake is on too. Also disconnect the EGR pipe, then reconnect it when you get the intake in place.

If you need more room behind the intake and between the firewall, you can remove the air filter and duct, with a couple bolts from the top.

Haruden
01-28-2016, 10:34 PM
Thanks for your reply Conozo. I appreciate your response & input. Actually I had removed the EGR pipe. I unbolted a bracket directly under the intake manifold as well. Air filter duct off as well. Sorry I couldn't explain better.

I was having trouble explaining things because I didn't know the name of a part. So, I went to a Honda dealer to ask questions & found out that the "torque bar bracket" (Torque bar runs from the firewall and attaches to a bracket near the EGR pipe connection.) is what is not allowing me to move the intake manifold into place. The tech told me that I will have to pull the head again, replace the gasket again : ( and tip the head and put the intake manifold onto the head studs before placing the head back onto the block. He also mentioned, as you did, to check that all brackets holding the intake manifold are loose.

Thanks again.

He says that's how they do it at the dealership. He also suggested using 3 people - one person on each end of the head holding it while the 3rd person pulls the intake manifold onto the head studs & loosely attaches the intake manifold with a few nuts, then he said for all three people to pull and guide the head onto the block, bolt down the head in proper sequence & then put the remaining nuts on the intake manifold studs & torque them down.