PDA

View Full Version : Low manual tranny oil level symptoms...

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Hello everyone,

Ever since I got my car (89 Accord LX 5-speed) I have had oil dripping from the front of the car (wonder where else it would drip?:D) I took it over to a mechanic and he looked it over (no charge $$$). The only thing he found was a loose clamp on the oil pan breather, which was replaced with a new clamp. He stated that the dripping came from the small amounts of oil that escaped from the breather and got deposited on the middle crossmember under the engine and other parts. When the car would warm up, the oil would liquify and descend upon the ground in the above mentioned fashion. I also check the engine oil level very often and there is no change. What is getting me worried though is the fact that the oil in the tranny and the engine is of the same type. Although my mechanic said that he was unable to locate any leaks on the transaxle or the engine, I still would like to double check. So the question is, what are the symptoms of a low oil level in the tranny? Right now the car shifts smoothly and the tranny works quietly. By the way, the oil drips in rather random locations under the engine. I am aware that I can check the oil level in the tranny but before I head out with my tool set to destr...I mean check the oil level, I would like to see whether or not I need to do that judging by the tranny perforemance.

Philsophy: The less you tinker with it, the less chance that it will break.

Thanks in advance.:D

PhydeauX
01-18-2003, 08:30 PM
It won't do anything untill it breakes. The first symptom will be 5th gear giving out. Its best to just check it. You just have to take the fill bolt out and stick your finger in there, its not that hard.

andy

ACCORD EX
01-19-2003, 03:28 AM
yes 5th gear ! i would check the tranny oil my self ! but be careful the filling bolt is a pain in the ass to get it off !

MIKE

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-19-2003, 07:23 AM
Accord EX,

but be careful the filling bolt is a pain in the ass to get it off !

I have heard that the bolt can be stripped rather easily. Is this what you are reffering to or is it just hard to access?

Gonna go out and check the level today then. :stick:

Thanks to everyone.:bow:

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Well, I managed to get to the filler bolt, but I can't seem to get it loose. Maybe I am a little too carefull trying not to damage it. Is it normal thread, or reverse? I am using 11/16" socket. Is it the correct one?

Thanks again.

mzabeefy
01-19-2003, 10:04 AM
it is a normal thread i believe. I usually use an 18" breaker bar with a foot long cheater pipe on top to knock it loose. I use 17mm socket for it, i don't know the inches equivalent.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2003, 10:10 AM
If it fits it must be the right size. I was just going to say to get a metal pipe for some leverage.

Dutchboy
01-19-2003, 11:04 AM
i always use my 1/2" drive ratchet and the 17mm with a large bar on it and it comes off like a charm all the time..

its easy if you use some sort of leverage

BEn

PhydeauX
01-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Its 17mm and use a 17mm 6pt socket on it. You want the least chance of stripping it. The thread is in the normal direction. You're going to need alot of torque to initaly break it loose then it will easily come out.

andy

ACCORD EX
01-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by '89AccordLX(Rus)
Accord EX,

I have heard that the bolt can be stripped rather easily. Is this what you are reffering to or is it just hard to access?

Gonna go out and check the level today then. :stick:

Thanks to everyone.:bow:

i am refering to the difficulty of loosening it ! :(

MIKE

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the help.

I didn't have any luck getting that damn bolt off. I checked under the car and the tranny bottom is clean and dry so no leaks there. The engine has some oil underneath. I am guessing that when the oil seals were replaced, a lot of oil trickled into the nooks and crannies and is slowly trickling down the engine.:( The clutch has been changed recently, so the tranny oil is probably in good order/level. Gonna ask the mechanic that changes the oil to get the filler bolt off from underneath the car. That would be the most logical solution.:D

Thanks again to everyone for the helpful input.:smokin:

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
01-24-2003, 01:51 AM
You will need a hammer to loosen the bolt. Make sure you use the appropriate size wrench. It is a 17mm. You will strip that bolt if you do not use the correct size wrench. This has happened to me a couple of times. I had to use a hammer and a vice grip to loosen the bolt.

Put your wrench on the bolt and strike the opposite head of the wrench (counter clockwise direction) squarely. This will loose then bolt. I must say, I've got some cheap Kragen tools that always manage to strip the bolts. No problems with the Snap-On from my coworkers.

Claude

A20A1
01-24-2003, 02:05 AM
Oh I'm with you on those cheap kragen/ schucks / checker auto, tools.
I did however buy a engine lift from them... the only place they had one in stock.