PDA

View Full Version : Strange Oil & Coolant problems

Micah 89 Lx-i
05-23-2002, 01:52 AM
Recently my car has been loosing oil I think it may be leaking from the pan but can't be sure. It seems like its at a good level everytime a check it but every once in a while I check it and its a tad below low.. Today I drove about 50 miles and then 50 miles back without any problems I get back home turn the car off for about 2 hours I drive about a mile and my needle shoots all the way up. Open the hood touched my radiator and it was cool so I open it up and coolant spews up because it was so hot, I had to put about a gallon of water in and check my oil.. a tad below low add a quart and drive it about 4 more miles and back home and its fine checked my oil level its almost topped off and the coolant is good...

I've noticed no degraded performance, no water in the oil or vise versa and no overheating besides tonight when I lost all that coolant.. but I did look at my oil pan and noticed antifreeze dripping from the bottom of it and around that area but I also saw my hood underneath had a strip of antifreeze from the place where the hood holder goes all the way down about 3 inches wide and as long as the hood underneath but there aren't any coolant lines running there and there isn't any antifreeze anywhere else.. on another note my belts have been squeeling alot latley I kept spraying belt dressing on them and it seemed to make it worse I left them alone for a couple days, it still does it but not as often the belts seem to be tight enough.

Any ideas where my oil could be going and why I could of lost so much coolant in such a weird place..

shepherd79
05-23-2002, 04:11 AM
ok, i had about the same problem.
there are a few hoses under the intake. i had two hoses busted on me. to find if they are busted i had to make it idle untill pressure gets good in coolant sysytem, under this preasure coolant should start coming out. you just have to look around. it was a bitch to work on them. but i got it. and it is fine now.
just listen to any weard sound engine makes.

hondaisthebest
05-23-2002, 05:30 AM
When you put back the coolant and water maybe you overfilled the radiator. When you put to much liquid your water pump gone a drop some coolant by a small hole.(this will force the internal gasket of the pump) Check if you car have still the same problem if so, maybe shepherd is right.

Micah 89 Lx-i
05-23-2002, 10:52 AM
I don't think theres any hoses on that side I replaced the ones under the intake recently but its on the other side of the engine around the oil pan I saw it leaking.. drove it again today, only a mile or so but it was fine and I let it warm up for 5 minutes or so before I drove.

So your saying if I overfilled the radiator it could of been too much and it just started leaking and didn't stop? And the water pump is on that side around there isn't it?

I'll keep my eye on my fluids a little more and try to check it out to see if I can find where the oil is going.. I know its leaking out (oil spots) but im not sure of where, I assume the oil pan though I did see a few oil beads driping from it but can't find a hole.

Maybe this coolant thing was a coincidence and im just leaking oil which still isn't good... it seems like ill fill it to the top mark on the stick and then ill check it a few times after and its still decent, almost to the full mark but then ill check it again and it will be at low or a tad below.

hondaisthebest
05-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Yes the water pump is just at the right of the car(upside of the oil pan). But if its still leaking check were its from.

njpeter
05-25-2002, 03:57 PM
taking off the oli filter makes working on the under manifold coolant hoses easier..those thermo vlaves are wallet busters , but requried for carbed accords

POS carb
05-25-2002, 07:18 PM
you are leaking water from either your water pump or from the manifold coolant hose

Micah 89 Lx-i
05-27-2002, 03:57 AM
Figured out the oil was leaking from the Filter, I replaced the filter and changed my oil it seems good now... I also added some Bar's radiator stop leak stuff and it seems to not be leaking coolant but I will try to check it out to see where its leaking from either the water pump or the manifold coolant hose (thanks pos)