PDA

View Full Version : Somking coming from thermostat area

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2003, 09:35 AM
Ok I was tuning my carb this morning b/c it was running way too rich and it stuck of gas. But I noticed that the thermostat had smoke coming from it. It looked like the connection with the radiator hose was fine and I checked for leaks and I couldn't find any. It would only ocassionally smoke, it wasn't constantly smoking, but it was enough to ask about it. I checked the trouble shooting from the haynes manual and found nothing. What do you guys think?

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2003, 09:39 AM
I forgot to mix water in with the antifreeze the last time I put it in. So I think it's probably 100% coolant which isn't good for cold climates. But would this cause the smoking?

ACCORD EX
01-19-2003, 01:27 PM
you said smoking ! what kinda ? can you see what is leaking ? coolant ??

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2003, 01:28 PM
It's not leaking, it might be b/c I never added water with the coolant and now it's just getting too hot and steaming. White smoke.

Dutchboy
01-19-2003, 04:38 PM
or it has a samll leak and is evaporating....it shouldnt smoke unless there is a leak...its a sealed unit otherwise....i bet theres a leak..

and yes its a good idea to make it 50/50 since your killing the cooling system with just plain antifreeze...its going to eat the aluminum fast and create alot of crud in your system.

BEn

ACCORD EX
01-19-2003, 05:17 PM
true ! :)

MIKE

bigpoppa88
01-19-2003, 08:09 PM
perhaps there is a small leak under the hose, I know for what ever reason I've replaced 2 of those hoses due to leaks there. It may be from the smaller hose that goes from there into the rear of the carb?

shepherd79
01-20-2003, 04:36 AM
it is a common problem. rubber pipe gets hard, and it develops small hole. when it is normal temperature it doesn't leak, but when it gets hot and pressure builds up, the stem will escape.
you may want to replace the hose, or thermostat rabber gasket.