PDA

View Full Version : back to the homemade cold air intake

Sm0kin
01-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Now i have been looking at this site that i found here in the forums. On this site they talk about building a cold air intake.
the web site is for teamdelsol now has anyone tried this intake yet and how did it work. More specific has anybody tried it on an 86 accord and how difficult was it to perform.:werd: <-- i just love that WERD!

smufguy
01-19-2003, 02:08 PM
the only difference in a 86-87 and a 88-89 is that the 86-87 guys got two vaccum hoses connected to the intake tubing near the Throttle body. I am sure as hell its gonna work, I am gonna be making it pretty soon so dont worry, i aint gonna wait for someone to try it and ask their opinion on it. its gonna work none the less, but the good thing about it is that you can change it to a short air intake or a cold air intake, whichever you like it to be. also, get some 1500 degree ceramic paint spray, and give it a nice even coat.

NOTE: when getting the tubing from JCwhitney, get the one with the OUTER DIAMETER of 2.5 inches. and u gotta find rubber couplings for the 2.5 inches. i gotta start hunting down either stock couplers or ones from home depot.

Sm0kin
01-19-2003, 03:36 PM
monday i am heading to a few spots around b-ham and see if i can get the tubing cheaper. JC whitney wants $22 for it with $20 shipping. I am def going to try it. I was thinking instead of painting it on the outside finding some sort of insulator to wrap it more for practical than cosmetics. For a cold air intake would the aem bypass remove the threat of hydrolock.

Mantis88LX
01-19-2003, 04:28 PM
were in al are u man?

smufguy
01-19-2003, 06:01 PM
This (http://www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$WNDJPMIAABWL2QSNDV0SFFCCJUOX KIV0?ITEMID=4067&BQ=null) is what you need. for the tubing

Sm0kin
01-20-2003, 01:27 PM
bought the piping today $35 still $10 cheaper then having it shipped got it from a high performance shop (local) going to start on the cutting and piping it in the morning. I'm in Alabaster mantis88lx. still need to get the paint. and clamps. Lowes here only had clamps with the rubber 3" and 2" the performance shop had 2.5" hose without the clamps but was $2.25 per foot. DID NOT BUY FROM THEM.

smufguy
01-20-2003, 02:25 PM
get the rubber coupler from home depot if possible. If not go to the wrecker and get the stock ones from cars.

Sm0kin
01-20-2003, 06:21 PM
been thinking about getting an old radiator hose and cutting it and using the clamps. where is the best place to run a cold air intake? into the front bumper next to the radiator or in the wheel well under the battery. would i benefit more fro the cold air intake or just leaving the filter under the hood. does it make that much diff

smufguy
01-20-2003, 07:55 PM
if you have a efi, you have the stock tubing running beside the battery to under the frame. So i would say, have yoru filter pretty close to that, so no water would get washed up to the filter. Second, look at the delsol page and how he has the filter placed, place it like that. dont go any lower cause lower you go, its gonna be not good cause 1) you might wash up water into your filer 2) in the summer the heat from the road would mess up your CAI. so have it pretty high in the bumper and its normally cold aroudn that place. and water would not get in if its there. under the hood does have a lot of advantage considering the safety of water not gettin in, but ur not gettin as much power from that compared to the one from the CAI.

2old_honda
01-20-2003, 09:30 PM
any good hardware store will have clamps that fit.

Sm0kin
01-21-2003, 02:17 PM
welp radiator hose at advance and autozone only go up to 2" still haven't tried the junk yard yet. Started cutting the pipe today, much different then i thought it would be but i think it will work. will be routing it through the stock hole into the fender haven't bothered pulling that stuff off yet but will tomorrow. Painted the pieces FLAT BLACK to match the rest of the stuff under the hood. hopefully i will find the rubber couplers soon

dews89blkaccord
01-25-2003, 09:18 PM
I made one a couple of weeks ago it was pretty simple. Just follow the direction from the how to section. It turned out great and I can believe the differents in hp. The part # for the K&N is
RU3560 w/ 2 1/2" opening. Had to trim the battery tray a little. Took off the front right wheel a drop the front part of the fender well. Total cost for mine was about $78.00 w/ K&N and shipping cost on the mandrel bend. Excellent mod to boost hp.

Jims 86LXI HB
01-25-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Sm0kin
been thinking about getting an old radiator hose and cutting it and using the clamps. where is the best place to run a cold air intake? into the front bumper next to the radiator or in the wheel well under the battery. would i benefit more fro the cold air intake or just leaving the filter under the hood. does it make that much diff

You better believe it does, read this post I did in the FAQ section I retyped a magizine test on the very subject.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8201

BTW, excellent thread guys, your showing what the the 3geez community is all about.

:super: