PDA

View Full Version : Need help Removing torque converter

A20A1
01-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Ok peoples.
I need some help. I unbolted the transmission from the engine but I'm wondering how do I get the torque converter off the engine side... I don't see any bolts other then the ones I would have to remove the torque converter to get at.

So does it just slide off?

Dutchboy
01-19-2003, 10:04 PM
oh you didnt know that you have to dismantle the whole engine to get that off??
Well start dropping the crank its the only way to do it ...it bolts in from the rear!!:D

well you know im joking....if there isnt any bolts it must slide off or mabye be retained by a pin....you must have a manual ,,,,well im hoping you do at least...otherwise that would baffle me as to how you know so much without reading on it......
and i dont have my manual with me so cant look at any picts or what it says.

By the way what are you working on now???

Ben

A20A1
01-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Actually I lent out both my manuals and they never came back... I used yasu how to to get the engine out of the car... but I did have a chiltons once.

This is what I'm doing:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12354&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

converting from efi to carb... and manual to automatic. It's all downhill for me. :D

Oh and Eric (POS CARB) gave me the basic Carb lessons... then I took it to the next level.

Dutchboy
01-19-2003, 10:33 PM
man you are the man!!!!!!!!

going to carb from efi is never heard of!!
thats cool....

you should post more picts of the cars and all the parts you got there...its neat to see what your doing...there should be a documentary on what your doing!!!!!

i wish i had another 3 gee to work on so that i could still drive one and mod the other for the fun of it.!!!!!!!
i would do that if i had a more secure job and a place to keep them

good luck on the project!!!!!!!!!!!
BEn

A20A1
01-19-2003, 10:50 PM
if only you knew... actually this was my daily driver and it started to get some problems... so I drove my brothers 3g cause he didn't want it, then I ended up using it to fix my car and I towed it away... I kept the good parts and my car ran for a real long time. Then the motor died... I bought a new 3g for 500.
this was the 86 DX... it has a new windsheild I gave to the owner because I took it off my brothers 3gee. It also has my brothers front bumper and a few other parts. when then the DX decided it wanted to kill me by sticking the throttle wide open, the motor died from the stress less then a mile from my house. so now I'm stuck with my project car... the only car I really wanted... I drove the other 3geez but it's not the same... the seats wreak of who knows what... and things just don't look right even though the cars are for the most part identical twins.

cruznz
01-19-2003, 10:55 PM
could be a couple of dowel pins that the convertor sits in/on, around outer edge........or/also theres abit of a knob...(for lack of a better word)......fits into crank/flexi-plate like pilot bearing.....try levering it out equally..if all bolts are out

YK86
01-20-2003, 12:19 AM
The only thing that holds the torque converter to the driveplate are about 6 or so 10mm bolts. You can access this by removing the black cover right beside the oil pan and get them out from the engine side. Spin the crank a 1/8 and undo the next one. And so on.

A20A1
01-20-2003, 03:08 AM
Damnit... I should have realized that. thanks a bunch Yasu.

maka_RTH
01-20-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
Actually I lent out both my manuals and they never came back... I used yasu how to to get the engine out of the car... but I did have a chiltons once.

This is what I'm doing:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12354&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

converting from efi to carb... and manual to automatic. It's all downhill for me. :D

Oh and Eric (POS CARB) gave me the basic Carb lessons... then I took it to the next level.
well, for the manuals..., even though it may not be right there with you, you could download pauls shop manual. and, manual to automatic? :huh: :werd: im' goin the other way lol. do you like auto better? or you'd have to convert to manual, as in, your car is alreay automatic...

A20A1
01-20-2003, 11:49 AM
I tried downloading it... but my connection sucks... anyways I need it to be automatic for now so i can drive down and remove the rest of the parts from the donar car.

markmdz89hatch
01-20-2003, 12:28 PM
hey Mike, Yasu is 100% correct. that's the bes way. ...really the only way.

...PS> if you're interested, I just realized that I have 2 haynes manuals. You're welcome to one of them if you want. It'll save you like 10$ from having to buy another one new.

ACCORD EX
01-20-2003, 12:43 PM
if you have a fast internet connection download teh automatic gearbox section from Pauls's site ( the link is in the FAQs ) :D

MIKE