PDA

View Full Version : HELP ! Possible Bad Transmission

Ryan Fudge Rush
02-17-2016, 02:00 PM
The car it self runs fine, the issue comes about when I want to shift into any gear, It clicks when I change it into any gear, and it sounds like it's in idling in park the whole time, whenever I hit the clutch it'll Rev but won't move, I'm going to try the neutral test tomorrow and see if it moves, if it does I'll consider it the tranny that's gone, if it doesn't move when in neutral is it possible that the issue is the linkage between the shifter and tranny ?

Ryan Fudge Rush
02-18-2016, 01:14 AM
*Update* Thought I should add that this is happening on an Automatic '88 Accord DX (actually a Canadian LX)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

87rustbucket
02-18-2016, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure what to do. Maybe change the tranny fluid and see what the old fluid looks like, checking the linkage couldn't hurt also while your checking the linkage take a look at the rest of the drivetrain. Since , from what I understand you got this car not running, try to get a good idea if there is anything else that may need to be fixed.

Does the previous owner know more about the history of the car, maintenance, and other things?

Ryan Fudge Rush
02-18-2016, 09:00 PM
I did get it not running at the time but after cleaning up the starter solenoid contacts it runs, we drove it in my buddy's backyard just fine, we then changed the radiator, and now a day later it wont go into gear, the shifter seems fine but whenever i hit the gas its stuck at a stand still, it acts like its still in park while i hit the gas. I checked the service history via the vin and found basically nothing, other than a bunch of passed emissions tests, the friend i got it off of bought it from another friend 6 months ago, then the starter died shorty after so its been sitting in his yard for about 6 months straight until i decided to buy it off him for cheap then i took a look at the starter after, which we then had it running and shifting fine, until the next day.

Any ideas ? Your help is much appreciated

Dr_Snooz
02-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Check the CV axles. If they've failed or popped out of the trans (maybe from over-exuberant driving in a friend's back yard?), they will cause what you're describing. Also, what were the results of your neutral test?

Ryan Fudge Rush
02-23-2016, 11:08 PM
Check the CV axles. If they've failed or popped out of the trans (maybe from over-exuberant driving in a friend's back yard?), they will cause what you're describing. Also, what were the results of your neutral test?

Thanks guys for helping out, also sorry for the late reply, i had issues signing back in. Turns out the friend whose house the 88 is at turned it over and had it idle for a few minutes when the rad wasnt installed.. so it spat out all the tranny fluid over his yard (his fault not mine, Lol) resulting in it not shifting. But thanks again guys for replying and helping out