PDA

View Full Version : 84 Accord stalls at idle and low rpm?

Machela
02-17-2016, 10:31 PM
I have a 1984 Accord in automatic, as stock as they come. She keeps stalling out at idle, sometimes wont even fully start running before she dies out.
I thought it was flooded so she sat for a day or two, got her going and only made it around the block before she stopped accelerating past 40kpm and died as soon as i had pulled over.
Any ideas would help please as i'm new to gen 2 accords :sad2:

Dr_Snooz
02-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Does the car smell like fresh gas? If so, it's time for a new carb.

bugsplat
03-01-2016, 12:26 PM
I have a 1984 Accord in automatic, as stock as they come. She keeps stalling out at idle, sometimes wont even fully start running before she dies out.
I thought it was flooded so she sat for a day or two, got her going and only made it around the block before she stopped accelerating past 40kpm and died as soon as i had pulled over.
Any ideas would help please as i'm new to gen 2 accords :sad2:

I've had that problem in my '85 for several years. It runs ok if I can get it warmed up, but it still occasionally dies at stop signs. Sometimes it runs better if the weather is damp. I also found that it (usually) starts more easily if I disconnect the tubed from a vacuum relay on the firewall to the left of the windshield wiper motor, and connect the tubes directly to each other. That relay is supposed to boost power when the air conditioner is on by powering one of the vacuum pots around (in front of?) the carb. I checked the pots and they don't leak so I don't see how that works, but it does run better.

nastytee
03-09-2016, 04:21 AM
It's probably a bad carb float.