PDA

View Full Version : Painted Trim and Molding..

bradccool
01-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Everyone with LX's and above is lucky........yall get those bumpers that are the same color as the car...........well....I got a DX and when I bought it my SOLID BLACK bumper was faded...........big time...........so I went to Advance bought a few cans of TRIM & BUMPER PAINT and some masking tape and 200 grit sandpaper..........grand total of about 15$........and made my car look fairly new again!............take a look at the pics...nice n black lol I do have to do the mud flaps tho......forgot about em.
http://members.cox.net/bradccool1/jan19.jpg
http://members.cox.net/bradccool1/jan1922.jpg
http://members.cox.net/bradccool1/Jan1912.jpg

Neuspeed87lx
01-19-2003, 07:01 PM
looks great ! nice job ... cool licence plate too

accordboricua
01-19-2003, 07:11 PM
Really good job! Looks new again!!!

bradccool
01-19-2003, 08:21 PM
thx!:super: :cool: I love my plate hehe........I was kinda hesitant about putting it on the net

iloveJDMblackrims69
01-19-2003, 09:29 PM
hmmmm......... is that like a flat paint??? well........if it is you should have done it like nate....... he doesnt have to armor all his again....

iloveJDMblackrims69
01-19-2003, 10:20 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/thisaccord/DSC00198.JPG

like this

iloveJDMblackrims69
01-19-2003, 10:23 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/thisaccord/front.doc

1989 DX R
01-19-2003, 11:04 PM
heh, cool, I'm gonna do that before i sell my car

bradccool
01-20-2003, 07:08 AM
well when I bought the paint they had FLAT BLACK trim and bumber paint...........but I got a kind with a little gloss to it......I can't remember what it is called......hehe.........but it was not flat black...........I got alot of complements from friends after I did it.........the thing that took the longest was moldings on the door..........I didnt wanna risk taking them off and painting them.....so I just taped em up....I also painted my that black thing arround the back window it came out pretty good..that was a real pain to mask but it was really faded

bradccool
01-20-2003, 07:15 AM
Did yall notice that the mirror on the passenger side isnt stock............lol my DX didnt come with a mirror...........so I went to a junkyard.......couldnt find another DX so I took a mirror that was similar and hoped it would fit.....I got a CRX Manual mirror worked out pretty good, had to take the hacksaw to it a lil to make it work!

jigga225
01-20-2003, 08:18 AM
looks good man. I like nice black trim it makes the car look clean and finished.
I couldnt stand when mine was gettin old.

markmdz89hatch
01-20-2003, 09:32 AM
I def. like it! Looks clean. Nice to see that someone decided to stick with the stock black bumpers instead of body-matched paint. I think the black looks classy on the 3G.

Call me stubborn, but I just break out my bottle of pure silione (that hurt the pocket) and glaze the bumper in it, and it looks like the day it was new. (of course you have to scrub the shit out of the bumpers/moldings before you do it.) ...and it lasts about 3 weeks each time I do it.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-20-2003, 10:16 AM
I agree with Mark, when you do something like that you want to do the best you possibly can.

89AccordNate
01-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Word from the experienced......

If you just painted that after sanding it and not using a paint prep, you can say goodbye to your pretty painted bumpers in about 6 months. I painted mine with just the paint, it wont stick. It will chip. If you didnt take time to clean the surface, the paint just wont adhere. Yes they look fine right now, but wait a few months and see how new they look. It takes many hours of sanding with the right grits, cleaning it with a special paint prep, then primering to cover up the imperfections and THEN painting lightly.

I recommend using a higher quality paint then what autozone sells. I used it before, it doesnt work as well as automotive store speciality paint. 2 times as expensive, but well worth it.

Looks good now, but show us a pic in a few months if you drive as much as I do.

Nate.

bradccool
01-20-2003, 07:01 PM
they will be fine.....I talked to the people at autozone they reccommended that grit of sand paper and they said for bumpers like mine primer is not needed just a sanded surface the bumpers have been painted for like 3months now anways.........no sign of chipping or fading yet.........thos pictures were taken yesterday the trim was done last week

89AccordNate
01-20-2003, 09:14 PM
Talking to the people at autozone is bad example #1..those kids are retards...high school drop outs, and look up parts all day on their computer..I just cant bring myself to take their word..they know nothing from experience...unless its on their riced out cavalier or 4 x4 truck.

Nate.

bradccool
01-21-2003, 04:49 AM
well personnally I will take my chances, cuzz even if the paint doesnt stay..............*which it has for the past 3 months* its not like I lost much..........just sand it down n repaint it..........lol.........dont cost that much......and it still looks good.......and doesnt really take very long too do but in the mean time I havnt noticed anything fading or chipping

kinser73
02-07-2003, 06:55 PM
88ACCORDNATE is right. I have a auto shop and I did work for Keystone Bumpers I was the guy that fixed tha bumpers there and you need to spray the bumpers with a flexable primer. If not thay will chip and crack.

DBMaster
02-08-2003, 12:58 PM
If you did good prep work the Flexible Bumper Paint ought to last for a while. I had a lot of trouble getting it to stick to the rub strips on my bumpers because I had tried so much of the silicone and Armor-All crap before. The last time I did mine I sanded the shi out of them, applied a spray on adhesion promoter and then three coats of the bumper paint. I still ended up with a couple of chips on the front bumper, but it appears to be holding on well this time.

The adhesion promoter is available at Auto Zone, also.

DBMaster
02-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Oh, I forgot, I cleaned the plastic up with acetone after sanding to try to remove as much of the imbedded oil (silicone) as possible.

MIK3
02-08-2003, 07:31 PM
Yeah, so far I have painted my splash guards and various small parts...nothing big...outlined the word HONDA on my splash guards in white, they are stylin...heh. I cleaned them all up w/ all the cleaners and so far, they are still awesome lookin. The bumpers are next

johndej
02-08-2003, 08:13 PM
hmm....... i got my bumper painted when i got the hood painted. it was when i first got the car and we took it to the dude my dad knows and he painted the fading hood and then the top of the bumper. whatever he did wouldn't stay on the bumpers, so we took it back and he redid it w/ something else and it looks brand new now (after 2 years)

MIK3
02-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Nice. Yeah, I think I'm gonna repaint the bumpers the factory colors...simple cuz I want it too look new...and I doubt it would look very nice, painting plastic, the same color as the metallic body...The colors would be very hard to match up, wouldnt they?

88LXiHB
02-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by iloveJDMblackrims69
hmmmm......... is that like a flat paint??? well........if it is you should have done it like nate....... he doesnt have to armor all his again....

Admit it, you're like half in love with Nate. 8 out of 10 of your posts have "Nate" on them...hahaha fruitcake!

HVerLX
02-09-2003, 03:08 PM
Just get a cleaner called MEK. wipe it down then take some fine fine sandpaper... sand it a little then paint it any color all primer does is make sure the shades of the paint they spray on the bumper are the same. 2 of my good freinds paint 150 foot yaghts.