PDA

View Full Version : Dropzone coilovers...

Nospeed
01-19-2003, 07:52 PM
so, what is the average price on these...and, are they any good??

Nospeed
01-19-2003, 08:29 PM
um yeah, cause i found em online for only $95. is that good?? here is the link (http://store.yahoo.com/urbanimport/acadcoil86.html)

Jims 86LXI HB
01-19-2003, 09:45 PM
They normally sell for $99, they do show up at groupbuy for less than that. However be warned, their not for the faint of heart.
They are VERY STIFF, here's how much stiffer than the stock springs front 213% rear 300%

Add to that the fact they that springs are NOT progressive and you've really upped the need to a super strut to tame them. They are stiffer than ground controls and I do not even recommend stock koni's on anything stiffer than the GC's. I would recommend either revalved Koni's or revalved Bilsteins. At the very least DO not even attempt to run anything less than Koni's front and rear.

I can't say anything about their quality, all I can say, is to warn you how stiff they are.

jigga225
01-20-2003, 09:03 AM
yeah let me get in on this......................
Well now i'm running dropzone coilovers on tokico struts.
All I can say Is... I was used to riding on cut springs so they feel very nice to me, as opposed to cut springs.
They arent crazy harsh, they absorb bumps nicely, and I dont bounce all over the road.
I got them for 69 bux.
Any more Q's just hit me
www.dropzonesuspension.com

Janiel
01-28-2003, 09:49 AM
jigga225 is right. I also have Drop Zone coilovers and my car runs very smooth and doesn't bounce at all. And I'am still riding around on the orignal struts!

dXsquared
01-28-2003, 10:16 AM
u are wrong

Travis

Jims 86LXI HB
01-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Janiel
jigga225 is right. I also have Drop Zone coilovers and my car runs very smooth and doesn't bounce at all. And I'am still riding around on the orignal struts!

Very funny.

I don't even need to go into detail, other than the above equals the single worst possible ride you can get, short of running no struts at all.

People listen to you will get screwed by that kind of advice, how is that helping.

bobafett
01-28-2003, 01:16 PM
hahaha....

yeah i know what you mean. i was running h&r springs with tokicos in the back, and konis in the font. and when goldy accord was riding with me he said that my ride was floaty and bouncy compared to his.... now that i have the rear GCs in, i can see why he would say this. so i imagine with GCs and Konis on all four corners it would be a much nicer ride.

i agree with jim, you guys are just setting up disaster. there is a reason people pay a lot for good suspension setups! :) running OEM struts with hard ass springs is not the best way to go... lol..

markmdz89hatch
01-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Jim, all I can think of is one possibility which may support these claims. Were the spring rate claims cross-referenced from multiple sources, or are the specs based on the findings of one source? Only reason I ask this is, Is it possible that the rates that we have do not accurately reflect the true rates? I hope you understand that I'm not questioning your facts, but just looking for possible explanations to the claims.

Haolerot
01-28-2003, 02:51 PM
Theres a pair of dropzone coilovers for $65 on ebay

Jims 86LXI HB
01-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
Jim, all I can think of is one possibility which may support these claims. Were the spring rate claims cross-referenced from multiple sources, or are the specs based on the findings of one source? Only reason I ask this is, Is it possible that the rates that we have do not accurately reflect the true rates? I hope you understand that I'm not questioning your facts, but just looking for possible explanations to the claims.

It doesn't get any easier to know what a dropzone coilover spring rate is,.....it's printed right on each spring:D

jigga225 was nice enough to tell me what they were before he installed them.

86AccordLxi
01-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Hey bobafett...what happened to your rear tokicos :)? Or at least what will happen to them?

Alex

bobafett
01-28-2003, 05:04 PM
they ARE on right now...

when i get an extra $700 saved up i will have joshes konis revalved and shortened :)

at that point amber will prolly get my struts... :)

86AccordLxi
01-28-2003, 05:16 PM
i see...that's what i figured.

Alex

bobafett
01-28-2003, 06:28 PM
u guys need to get me that bumper peice! :) hehehe

jigga225
01-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Janiel

aww come on man. tell the truth.
My car even bounces some I'll admit. Its just not unbearable. I was riding on cut springs and its a lot better than that. But its not the best either, when I have my cutie with me on the freeway she notices it doesnt ride like a regular car

Justin86
03-13-2003, 06:37 PM
I got my dropzones off ebay and wasen't sure on the struts. I know to get some revalved Koni's or revalved Bilsteins. But I'm not sure on how much they will cost and if I should get them shortened or not. I plan on having a 2" to 2.5" drop, and was told it would be beneficial to shorten the struts if you have lower then a 2" drop. Is it worth it or not? Please help. :huh:

Jims 86LXI HB
03-13-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
I got my dropzones off ebay and wasen't sure on the struts. I know to get some revalved Koni's or revalved Bilsteins. But I'm not sure on how much they will cost and if I should get them shortened or not. I plan on having a 2" to 2.5" drop, and was told it would be beneficial to shorten the struts if you have lower then a 2" drop. Is it worth it or not? Please help. :huh:

One thing about the Bilstins is they do not have a program to shorten them, only Koni is offering shortning. How ever I know a trick that can net you 1/2"-1" effective shortning pretty much for free if you either gind down the pinch fork and or remove the brake hangers on the front struts. Price for Bilstein revalved struts is $630.

At a 2" drop, I wouldn't worry about shorting the front bodies, but below 2.25", I sure would.

This whole revaling thing isn't for autocrossing or racing, it's cause those dropzones are extreamly stiff and even stock koni's won't have enough power for them, its about ride and drive quality. Now with springs that stiff, excellent handling is a given, but, weak sturts will ruin those benefits.