PDA

View Full Version : Do you warm up your 3gee??

88accordlxcarb
01-19-2003, 08:48 PM
What do you guys do? I usually warm mine up around 5-7 mins EVERY time the car is cold (IE-overnight, or longer). When it is really cold outside it is warmed-up around 10 mins.

I've always been taught to warm-up any car, because as they get older more time is needed for the sensors, etc, to start to function. Don’t know if there is any truth to that, but hey that’s why I made this poll.

:flash:

Jason

Neuspeed87lx
01-19-2003, 08:53 PM
yes i let it warm up... i let it high idle for like 2 or 3 min ... i start to drive it when it lets me kick the rpms down to like 1200

maka_RTH
01-19-2003, 09:05 PM
i take off and go. unless less it's really freaking cold, all icy and crap, i'll start it, scrape the ice off, then go

*edit* if im' driving a carbed car, i'll let it warm up before i take off. usually about 5 mins or something, but i haven't driven a carb since, well, actually, just the otehr day when i fixed my friends accord. he let me drive it real quick, and his is carb. but actually starting and going..., the last time was like back in may, lol.

88 Accord DX
01-19-2003, 09:50 PM
i let it warm for 2 min exactly then i roll

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-19-2003, 09:54 PM
I usually always let it warm up for a couple minutes before I take off. The colder it is, the longer I let it warm up. When it's hot, it's just a minute or two, but when cold I let it run for 5-6 minutes or until I feel a little heat coming out.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
01-19-2003, 10:08 PM
i let "ANNA" warm up every morning like for around 5 minutes.....Its bad when u just take off cause im a crazy teenage driver. But sometimes if im in a hurry i "granny bitch" it cause i don't let her warm up.....

Cmac-19
01-19-2003, 10:57 PM
i usually let it warm up for 5 mins or soo, but if im in a hurry to get somwhere i just take off and go

markmdz89hatch
01-20-2003, 07:56 AM
I go anywhere from 5 Min. up if I'm starting it from sitting overnight, or for more then like 5 hrs. or so. Both are carbed, so I just try to let the cold-start idle drop before I take off which usually ( in the winter) takes anywhere from 4-10 min.

mowery
01-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Usually let it warm up long enough to do the first two choke kick-down stages... That will put the idle at around 1500, and I'll start driving it *easy*. Then after I've been driving a few minutes and come to a stop it will be fully warmed up and down to the low idle. This seems to be working the best for me.

pmip
01-20-2003, 10:47 AM
I usually let it warm up for about a minute, then just keep the revs low for another 5-7 minutes. It warms up faster while it's moving anyways.

88' Accord Ltd
01-20-2003, 11:22 AM
I let my carbed accord idle until it kicks down back to 1000, then some. Lately its been really cold here and i let it warm up at least a good 10 minutes.

ACCORD EX
01-20-2003, 12:54 PM
it ' better to warm up your car ( at least to get the oil running ! )

MIKE

87accordlx
01-20-2003, 01:38 PM
in the winter i let it completly warm up, i just start it and go in the house and get my books and stuff ready, and when i'm ready the car is nice and warm for me :)

Mike's89AccordLX
01-20-2003, 01:44 PM
I usually wait about 4-5 but when I'm at stop lights it wants to quit running (carb freeze) So I plan to just wait until it's totally warm. I have to put my silencer on b/c the reason I take off so quick is to not wake the neighbors :)

Einstein
01-20-2003, 03:56 PM
I go out, start the car with defrost/heat on full blast, come back in and make my lunch, which can take from 10 minutes to 20 minutes. Look out the window--if the windows are clear I go out and go to work. Otherwise I sip more coffee.

Elijah
01-20-2003, 04:21 PM
well it is so cold here the last couple of days that I can't even drive b/c of snow.Last night I tried to go out and it took me 5 minutes to get 10 feet and another 5 to get it back.We got about a 1 -2 feet of snow and well if any of you have seen how low my car is it was like a snow plow.

johndej
01-20-2003, 04:35 PM
i'll let mine warm up for the time it takes to scrape the windows and all. 1/2 the time i just got though and drive easy for a few miles.

xaccordx89x
01-20-2003, 06:00 PM
i usually warm it up until the temperature needle hits the middle where its normally is

DBMaster
01-20-2003, 06:13 PM
Well, I read a long time ago that the car warms up much more efficiently if you just start it and drive it easy for a few minutes and that "warming up" was actually bad for the engine long term.

Of course, I live in Texas and the car is in the garage so it is not much of an issue.

87Hybrid
01-20-2003, 08:21 PM
Gutless as hell cold.

Stefi-blueLX
01-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Even though it's not too cold in the wintertime (67 was our low today :D), I let it warm up 2-3 mintues, give it some gas, idle goes down to about 1400, wait about 1 minute later and it idles around 1000. In the summertime, I just go.

OldSchoolSwap
01-21-2003, 05:59 AM
Remote Start! 5 to 10 min. Then i roll :D

DBMaster
01-21-2003, 08:56 AM
I think the issue with a "warm up" in cold weather is that you may have warmed the engine and transmission (if it is an auto) to near operating temp, but you haven't done squat for the other operational parts (brakes, shocks, bearings, etc.) If you just start and drive it easy for a couple of miles you are warmed up "all over" and no damage is done to anything.

The book where I ready this was written by a guy named Sikorski and it is called "Drive it Forever." I read it while I still had my 15+ year old Pontiac that was still running great with over 200,000 miles. Not a big deal for a 3g Accord, but for a 72 Catalina that's a lot of miles.

MIK3
01-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I usually wait about 2-3 mins, and then take off...the previous driver was a grandma, heh, so it wasn't driven very hard. There for I only wait that long. Oh yeah, do you guys simply idle for the warm-up, or rev it a lil? And if you do rev, for how long, and how many rpm's? Thx

87AccordsterLx
01-22-2003, 12:03 PM
If I dont let her warm up (carbed) she drives really sluggish so I'll let it warm up untill I can dropit down to 750rpms... usually about 3 min or so....

87AccordsterLx
01-22-2003, 12:04 PM
ALSO.... if you fliped the lid on your carbs air filter as i did... you have to remember that you dont have the exhaust return so your carb will take longer to warm up....

MIK3
01-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Which would be better tho for warming the beast up? Revin a lil ways, or simply letter it idle?

87AccordsterLx
01-22-2003, 06:00 PM
if its idleing at around 2000rpms then let it be... once the idle drops after you give it a little gas then your good to go... (carb people only)

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
01-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
Remote Start! 5 to 10 min. Then i roll :D
so you can just start your car an drive it without the key?

maka_RTH
01-22-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Scotts88WhiteLX-i
so you can just start your car an drive it without the key?
i think you'd still need the key to turn the steering wheel(unless the steering wheel lock is busted), but remote start could be fun ;)

HondaLuxury
01-23-2003, 11:42 PM
there is more oil pressure in the engine when the engine is cold. there is no possible way that you could hurt your engine by driving it normally when it is cold. warming the engine up is just a waste of gas.

netfreak
01-23-2003, 11:59 PM
When I leave work I give it a few minutes, mainly because I'm frozen and too cold to drive. In the mornings I step into my nice warm garage :D and i'm EFI so I don't warm up.

87AccordsterLx
01-24-2003, 12:26 AM
why do you keep your garage warm? That’s so inefficient... I mean come on... :flip:

netfreak
01-24-2003, 12:35 AM
It's not heated but it sure isn't freezing either.

Blue Impact
01-26-2003, 10:49 PM
I usually warm it up for like 10 minutes, but when I'm in a rush, it's all start and go.

njpeter
01-27-2003, 05:24 AM
first, when it coes to driving a freezin cold car, I'm a wimp..I need my heat..I even bought a block heater this year, but the SOB delivered weeks late and I couldn't get it installed.

for a stick shift, I guess a minute of two is ok..for an auto tranny however, I want it to be good and warmed up before I take off. While some say it's a waste of gas ( I'll agree for a stick it would be) to keep the auto happy, the oil has to be warmed up just a bit..what I really want is a heated seat and wheel..it's about 5 degrees outside right now..So I go with the warmup till full operating temp, Besides that I'm as sick as can be..and need the heat.

almost 90% of engine wear occurs during the first 30 seconds of cold running

OldSchoolSwap
01-29-2003, 08:04 AM
What are you all talking about???!!!!!!!!!!!

It has nothing to do with auto or stick! The main purpose of warming up an engine is to well lubricate it and get it to operating temperatures before reving it up.

Remember, the oil sits in your oil pan and needs time to flow up to the head and start lubricating your head, valves, springs and so on. Some oil is retained in the oil filter but this is not suffcient.

Those of you that just start and "go" are doing major premature damage to the motor as oil does not have enough time to lubricate the upper engine components, therefore resulting in "metal to metal" contact (scratching surface). Oil creates a thin layer between metal that provides lubrication and keep parts moving efficiently.

I hope i've made myself clear :)

1987HondaAccord
01-29-2003, 09:40 AM
i live in the sunny southern california. there is no real need to warm up the engine. although i do turn it on and wipe down the windows if i have the time, and if there is anything on the windows.

as for what oldschoolswap said, does it really matter if you warm it up? if you do, the first few minutes are still going to be without oil, even if its just idling. i could understand why reving it hard as soon as you start could be bad.

its an interesting subject. there is much to say on both sides.

OldSchoolSwap
01-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Idle is the safest way to get the oil up. At least 3 to 5 minutes in the morning. No matter what the temp is.

OldSchoolSwap
01-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Here's a reply i did to one of the members....

The Oil that sits overnight on the head is not sufficient enough to lubricate moving parts under higher RPM's than idle, this will cause premature wear.
The temp of the engine is not as critical as the oil reaching the head and other moving parts. It is more important to know that the head is well lubricated than waiting for the engine to reach optimal operating range.

If you turn on the motor and start reving it up right away, wether its driving or not, yes the oil will eventually reach the head but this will create metal friction due to missing oil, resultin (again) in premature wear. The oil needs time to get pumped and raised properly in order to lube things up and get the motor ready for street driving and or racing in our case. :)

By the way, warming up the engine does not create more oil pressure, the engine has an oil pump and will pump oil and raise pressure as soon as the motor is turned on, no matter what temp it is.

As you rev your motor higher and higher, oil psi will raise according to what ever RPM you are in. This prevents any parts from lacking oil under engine load and high horse power demand (stock or not). This is one reason you must check your oil levels freakently to make sure you don't end up blowing a motor due to lack of oil.

SMITHACCORD*&
01-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Well i do not warm her up. the reason i don't is because its carbed and it doesn't like to stay started for some reason i am just to lazy to spray some carb cleaner in there. but anywho i get in her and drive her off to school every day

fuzzy audio
08-20-2003, 07:40 AM
I don't. I don't slam the gas until it's warm, but I drive it right away.

Mike89Accordcom
08-21-2003, 08:44 AM
I do sometimes, either car in cold winter for about 2-3 minutes.

Vinny
08-21-2003, 11:56 AM
I ususally just start it and go, unless its REAL cold out, but it doesn't get tooo cold down here in S GA

Goldfinger89
08-22-2003, 09:00 AM
When cold I always let them run for 5-7 mins. By cold I mean 35 or under. If it's warm out, I just start it, let it run for 10-15 seconds and just drive slow and keep the rpm's at 2K or less until it warms up.

pimp86LX
08-22-2003, 09:19 AM
well in the winter it gets near -30C so i let it warm up for a good 5-10 minutes depending on the situation. I turn it on, crank the heat and start scraping the ice. by the time im done its nice and toasty warm inside and ready to go. In the summer it can get to near 30C so i let it warm up until it idles down to 850rpm, or if i've been driving recently, not really any time at all.