PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket/ timing belt/ water pump replacement a20a1

n8ge
02-26-2016, 05:18 PM
These next few weeks I am going to replace my timing belt, water pump, and head gasket. It will be my first so I was looking to get some input on what to look out for and pointers, and maybe the easiest way to do it. Also the torque specs for the head, and if I needed to torque anything else down to a certain spec. It will be on my 89 accord dx. Thanks for the input.

Griff
02-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Well, first of all, I love doing the head gasket/timing belt on my A20A1. It will take a little longer if you leave the engine in the car, like I did.

Here are things that I had trouble with and solutions:

1) Removing intake bolts
You can either remove the cylinder head with the intake still attached or you can use universal joints/extensions and get creative on the lower bolts.

2) Removing crank pulley
Most likely this bolt will be stuck in place. Soak the bolt in something like PB Blaster for a while and tap it with a hammer a bit (DO NOT HIT THE HARMONIC BALANCER WITH THE HAMMER, IT WILL BREAK!). Then use a big 1/2 drive breaker bar and you should be able to get it undone.

Other than those it was very straight forward for me.

Also, be sure to check the block deck and cylinder head deck with a straight edge to make sure they are not warped. Check to make sure that there is not any pitting on either deck as well. If you find any damage take the damaged piece to a machine shop. To remove the old gasket material I would spray a shop rag with BG Carb cleaner, wipe it on the deck, and use those super thin shaving razor blades to scrape it away. Both deck surfaces will need to be completely clean for the gasket to seal properly. You will need to be very careful not to gouge the surface with the razor blade. This will take a long time but will work very well. I did this method on my Civic and I still do not have any issues. I used universal joints and extensions as well as my breaker bar quite a bit while doing the head gasket/timing belt/oil pan gasket, so if you do not have these go and pick some up. I am assuming you have a manual, you can find the torque specs in there. If you don't have a manual, be sure to pick one up.

You should also replace the crankshaft gasket, oil pump gasket, and camshaft gasket when you are doing your timing belt. You should also check to make sure your tensioner is still good.

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2016, 07:47 PM
Download the manual: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5uftmt1/AAA0VFYqWyfZ35Nvudl0xk_Oa?dl=0

Check out pp. 6-17 and following for instructions on installing the head.