PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fells "stuck" HELP ME PLEASE

Bullfrog
01-19-2003, 11:38 PM
i jsut noticed the other day that my power steering is no longer working well, i have fluid but when i turn the wheel i get like a not a squeek but like when a car hita bump like springs but its when i move the wheel even when im not moving. also it doesnt seem like the car is returning any fluid to the reserve but when i whent to fill it up cuz i though the fluid was low it was a little foamy in there.....the wheel turns ok it just is like the power steering is sticking cuz i turn the wheel and the steeringwheel stays right were i leave it insted of straighting itself out...even at slow and high speed...like its stuck and it does it both directions so..anyone please help me

AZmike
01-20-2003, 11:38 AM
How is the pump belt tension? Was the fluid level low or just foamy? If it was low try to figure out where the leak is.

ACCORD EX
01-20-2003, 12:41 PM
wheel coming back to center is not a power stering issue ( at least i think so )

MIKE

Bullfrog
01-20-2003, 01:29 PM
it was foamy it leaks a little but i filled it back up so it was fine as for the wheel commung back to center whatever makes the wheel turn feels stuck and holds the wheel in place where you left it truned, most of the time if you turn the wheel when you start to go straight again it comes back to center..this is like if it were still being held in a turn

AZmike
01-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Have you checked the pump belt yet? How is your tire pressure?

I don't really understand your description of the problem in the last post. You are what makes the steering wheel tun, so how could you be stuck?

Bullfrog
01-21-2003, 08:55 PM
fluid is fine belt is fine...i was thinknig it was the pump cuz it dont seem like there is pressure to make it feel smooth..tires are fine, what i meant about truning was that the steering is very stiff...but not like im out of fluid cuz i can still trn its just i can turn the wheel and it will stay like it is and not center out like it should whne your driving its like someone holds the steering wheel and it sound like something needs greesed or oiled cuz there is a sound comming form the front driver side when you turn the wheel its comming behind the rotor brake assembly....is there a greese fitting that needs serviced or something?

AZmike
01-22-2003, 12:30 AM
So it seems to work one way, but not the other? It sounds like the control valve on your steering rack may be getting stuck. I doubt it's your pump. The pump is very simple (two meshing gears and a bypass valve) and as long as it isn't leaking is probably fine.

You should be able to pull the valve assemby off the bottom of a PS rack at a pick-a-part for not too much and a new seal from the dealer to mount it on your rack. That might do it. Since anything else may end up getting pretty expensive doing trial and error swaps you may want to consider taking it in for a quick look by a technician (not at a dealer [$$$], but at a shop that specializes in similar cars [$]).

3rdGenMartyr
01-23-2003, 11:48 PM
my steering did the same thing, except for now the power syeering works, yet if i turn right, it takes a tenth of a turn more to actually engauge the ssteering... im not sure what it is, but when the money comes, im getting a whole new rack

Bullfrog
01-24-2003, 10:41 AM
well follow up its now getting warmer out and not like zero or below here and the car stop making the sound..i think it just got so cold the car was "acheing" it dont make the sound anymore and the steering is getting better so i think its jsut the very very cold weather...ill give a heads up after a while to see if its just the weather or if it comes back but thanks for all the help guys.....now i just got to get my windsheild fixed from a crack...F-en road crews in pa use rocks and salt for tractions

AZmike
01-24-2003, 02:59 PM
That's good to hear. It sounded like you had a rather unique (and difficult to solve) problem.

Bullfrog
01-25-2003, 09:29 AM
very...thanks for the help 89lxi4dr and everyone else who responded its not supost to go back to the single digits for a while so i donno if its just a cold problem or was just one of those really intersting unique and hopefully ONE TIME ONLY problems...ill keep ya posted