PDA

View Full Version : 86 accord disc brake ....HELP

jonw440
01-20-2003, 05:49 AM
My Mother's 86 accord needed front brakes... I took the driver's side off and she had run the inner pad off. IE piston was stopping the car :wtf:
I bought new rotors, pads and a AZ caliper. I now have a problem with the lower bolt that bolts the caliper to the caliper bracket. It wont tighten enough. The caliper can move. It seems like there is something missing. Should there be a sleve or something to take up the slack? Also The brakes go to the floor and the driver's side drags reall bad. I did bleed them (Had Wife pump the brakes for me about 10 times finally got just fluid out NO air. The resivoir never ran dry) Any ideas?
Also if I tighten the upper and lower bolts to tight the rotor wont turn. This is on both sides.

AZmike
01-20-2003, 02:53 PM
Use a C-clamp to compress the pistons on both sides then tighen all the caliper mount bolts. That should keep anything from dragging. It will take a few pumps to get the pads back to the rotors next time though.

Is AZ a caliper rebuilding company? Do you see any differences between the new and old caliper? Did you bleed just the front or all four corners?

jonw440
01-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Mike, Thanks for the reply. I figured it out. When My Wife brought the old caliper back we didnt take the "lower sleeve" out of the old caliper. I went back to the parts store and they said "Yup you need that" :rolleyes: Came back home put everything back in and all is well. We have to bleed the brakes some more but it is 2 deg. outside so we will finish it tomorrow.
Thanks again
Jon

AZmike
01-20-2003, 11:39 PM
Glad to hear you got that sorted out. Be sure to bleed in the correct order (front left, rear left, rear right, front right).