PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it

86accord4dr
01-20-2003, 10:36 AM
So here in canada it's fricking cold. We have to plug our block heaters in to keep the engine from freezing and making starts in the morning (just some background for the California 3G'ers)

Now I've had my car plugged in since about supper time on Sat. (not intentionally plugged in that long.. just lazy) So I go to start her this morning and nothing... she won't even try to turn over... no headlights nothing... the only thing that's kinda illuminated is my LED for my fogs. I just replaced the battery in oct and the alternator shortly after that. I've had one other instance where this kinda happened tho it did eventually turn over.

My question is... is there any way the block heater could be sucking power?? I had nothing left on in the car, i even took my stereo face plate off so my amp would auto shut off... I don't get it

PLEASE HELP!

86accord4dr
01-20-2003, 11:08 AM
4 views and no replies?!?!

ok well i don't feel so bad for not understanding it then...

88' Accord Ltd
01-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Maybe the block heater is dead? or the cord if fucked up. I know my dads 3g's block heater went back in december he had to install an inline heater. Myself when i leave my car plugged in over night it cranks over but not like it was plugged in.....maybe mines gone too? I duno, as long as it starts!

86accord4dr
01-20-2003, 11:34 AM
thanks man...

yeah but isn't it just a separate heater coil that plugs into the AC from the house? how would it failing have anything to do with my battery being discharged? that's the REAL problem. and i just went out there to boost it but the release on the hood isn't working... it's not snapped cuz i can feel there's some tension there... is there another way to open the hood?

Chubs87Accord
01-20-2003, 02:24 PM
a saw i suppose :D lol

86accord4dr
01-20-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks for nothing chubs
:flipa: :tongue:

88' Accord Ltd
01-20-2003, 03:58 PM
I think you might have to find where the cable is running to the release and pull it manually, it might have tension but not enough? sorry to be kinda confusing here i just cant find the right words to explain it clearly lol

86accord4dr
01-20-2003, 04:01 PM
yeah 88... that worked... holy shit you're in the peg.. that's where i'm from!!

drop me a line man... i need to catch up on "home"

thanks for your help

AccordEpicenter
01-20-2003, 05:42 PM
I live near Buffalo and its pretty cold here lately and my car is kinda the same way, it turns over alot slower when its like 0 or 10 degrees (f not C) versus like 30 or 40. I think our batteries might be freezing that cold or somthing, also make sure you arent leaving anything on, like ur amp or somthing

86accord4dr
01-20-2003, 07:41 PM
yeah epicenter but it's been a lot colder up here... 30 below man... i really should invest in a battery warmer... i brought it back to walmart just now and it tested at 13.8V 0 CCA! they did an exchange even though i already had an exchange done on it in oct...

as for leaving shit on i never do that.. my amp is auto shut off when the deck is off... and i haven't used my fogs in a few weeks...

i'm taking her in on friday or sat just to see if there is a big electrical problem somewhere... cuz i can't keep relying on the good cust. service from walmart.

88' Accord Ltd
01-21-2003, 06:18 AM
Hey thats something thats odd around here, someone else from winnipeg. Yesterday it was like -41 with the windchill! Soooooooo cold. Glad to hear you got the hood open!

86accord4dr
01-21-2003, 07:12 PM
yeah thanks Ltd... good old winterpeg, manisnowba... lol... yeah i miss that city... if you were ever bored you could go downtown around 2 when the bars got out and watch the entertainment... or hang out at that back alley off portage where the theatre is (or was) and either get jumped or score some good meth...