PDA

View Full Version : Question for guys that created their own cat-back exhaust

Jims 86LXI HB
05-23-2002, 11:50 AM
Did any of you have the shop create new heat shields? The first shop I went to said he would not touch the car because he could not make me the 2.25" piping and create new heat shields. He claimed it would be a liability for him to do it with out heat shields. The second shop I went to didn't ever mention it, he wanted $190, with me providing the muffler and tip.

$190 is more than I wanna pay so I'm gonna keep on shopping the shops.

Cheesy question? Why can't I just put that header wrap stuff in the same places that honda put heat shields. No one is gonna see it anyways.

87AccordsterLx
05-23-2002, 11:52 AM
damn that's so expensive... I paid $100 for the piping and install>> I brought my exhaust and they did the rest....

1988starter
05-23-2002, 11:53 AM
I did not have a heat shield problem. If you continue to have the prob of pipe people asking more than 150 order a pacesetter exhaust from nopi for 150 and cut off the muffler and replace it.

POS carb
05-23-2002, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't wrap the exhast, the hotter exhaust gasses coming out the tip are going to probably deform your bumper

PhydeauX
05-23-2002, 03:10 PM
Don't wrap your exhaust with that stuff, just the headers. You need to let the exhaust eventually. I don't know what that guy was talking about with the heat shields, he should be able to leave the oem ones in place to hang 2.25" pipes. $190 is rediculous for just the pipeing w/o muffler or tip.

andy

YK86
05-23-2002, 03:48 PM
You don't need to replace the heat sheids. It's more than big enough for 2.25" piping. Midas did a 2.25" piping install for me for $120US. I took my own Flowmaster muffler and tip, they removed the old pipe and muffer, bent and installed the new pipe, welded in the muffer, tip, and hangers.

gugumachi
05-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by YK86
You don't need to replace the heat sheids. It's more than big enough for 2.25" piping. Midas did a 2.25" piping install for me for $120US. I took my own Flowmaster muffler and tip, they removed the old pipe and muffer, bent and installed the new pipe, welded in the muffer, tip, and hangers.

man, our midas's down here just suck! i took them my flowmaster, and they told me it wouldn't fit on my car, and that i'd have to order something specially made for my car. i said F that, went down to a local shop that's like family run, they had me in and out in like 45 minutes. i think it was around $220 for the install (2.25" piping) plus the tip i bought there too

88LXiHB
05-23-2002, 06:31 PM
I paid $127 for my 2.25, and he never mentioned the heat sheild...

AccordChemist
05-23-2002, 07:35 PM
i had my piping and muffler down at custom muffler here. they never said anything like that jim. i would try going to another shop..

hondaaccord_86
05-23-2002, 10:40 PM
how much does midas do mufflers for? with install?

Jims 86LXI HB
05-24-2002, 01:39 AM
Oh listen to this one guys. I walked into midas and asked them how much to make me the cat-back. The guy looks at my car from behind the counter and say's (I swear) ummm $400. Here's how the rest of the conversation went.
Oh thats for stainless steel right?
"No"
Well then mandrel bends, right?
"No"
It was all I could do to not tell him to blow it out his ass! And their parking lot was full of cars waiting to be worked on, I don't get it.:confused:

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll insist that the oem heat shields be used. I'm pretty sure if I go out of town I can get it much cheaper. I was just trying to let my money stay local.
And the idea of just buying the pacesetter and having my muffler put on their piping did occur to me while I was going around to the shops. I'll do that as a last resort.

RCracer
05-24-2002, 03:14 AM
I can get a crush bent from 2 to 3 inch in size with boxes(mufflers), tip (my choice) and thats from the downpipe with no cat (as my car didn't have one fitted) in stainless steel for £320 (abt $480 US ) and I thought that was expensive.

The maker of the system is "Powerflow"

What about the flex pipe(big braided type under the front part of the floor) he was going to remove it totaly and not put a flex joint on.:mad:
Do we need the flex pipe or can we get away without it??

Which is the best size exaust pipe for our cars?

My modified rear exhaust box is on its way out again:burn:

PhydeauX
05-24-2002, 07:36 AM
Hmm.. us$480 for a full stainless setup, thats a pretty decent price, be nice if it was mandrel bent not crush, but oh well. You don't really need the flex pipe, a flex joint will suffice, but it will rattle more. I insisted on haveing flex installed when I had mine hung. I think the general consensus is 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" pipes.

andy

superaccord
05-24-2002, 07:42 AM
all of your guys's places suck. i got my 2 1/4 cat back installed mandrel bent for 95 with muffler install. damn:lol

88LXiHB
05-24-2002, 07:54 AM
http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/squint.gif Don't gloat...:flip:

hondaaccord_86
05-24-2002, 10:17 AM
i guess in other words... dont go to midas... they suck shIt...

toastyghost
05-24-2002, 06:01 PM
Where did you get all that crap for only $95?!

A20A1
05-24-2002, 06:16 PM
I wrapped my entire 2.25 cat-back... boy was it toasty... then when i went for my 2.5 I had the guys at the shop toss the old wrap. The exhaust didn't seem to heat the last portion of the wrap closest to the muffler a whole lot... it barely showed any discoloration... but from the down pipe to the cat was all grey... the color was originally light brown... like hay or something.

rallyeNate
05-24-2002, 11:52 PM
i have a 2" exhaust with mandral bend pipes, 4-2-1 header and a flowmaster delta50 and no cat. i have no heat sheilds and not one problem. i wish i would of used 2.25" pipes and a stright threw muffler or 2.5" and a flowmaster

toastyghost
05-31-2002, 03:28 PM
Hey Nate where did you get the race pipe to replace your cat and how much was it?

toastyghost
05-31-2002, 03:29 PM
I'm thinking about ripping out the cat and taking the housing off of it and then put it over a straight pipe so it looks like I am still emissions legal. :)

POS carb
05-31-2002, 03:50 PM
man that crazy, I was thinking of something like that a few hours ago, only my idea is to take my gutted cat I have sitting around and open the holes bigger and putting a 2.25" pipe through it and weld the ends so that it's straight (no turbulence) and then bolt it in place of the one I have now (Pacesetter hi-flow, it may be fried already from running rich as hell and having no air suction system)

CoAsTeR
06-01-2002, 06:09 AM
I have stock exhaust...... is there a performance gain with upgrading the piping? Where should I start?

fromerly89Exi
06-06-2002, 04:12 PM
anyone running resonators still, or did most people ditch them. My newest exhaust plan is; Cherry Bomb as resonator, original piping size. Rear section; Already 2.5" crush bend, run another Cherry Bomb backwards and use my 4" Bosal tip, I dont want it too loud, I like to hear my music too.

TeKKnoTeKK
06-06-2002, 04:51 PM
Muffler place took my resonator off, it's a straight through muffler and loud as hell lol, sounds nice and throaty tho :cool:

A20A1
06-06-2002, 10:10 PM
Crimp... not Crush bent

Yeah I tossed the stock resonator... I'm still deciding if I should buy pacesetter ceramic coated for $150 from a guy down here...
but I'd rather spend the money and get a custon header that is tuned more to my rpm range.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-06-2002, 10:19 PM
Have you check out the headers from www.s&sheaders.com
they make a 4 into 1 design for our cars. I talked to them to find out who carries their headers and you can only get them directly from them. If you've got some other vehicle I think theirs a retailer somewhere, but it's direct only for our cars.

A20A1
06-06-2002, 10:23 PM
you lost me with the wording in the last sentence... :)

I didn't realise the S&S were 4 into 1... thanks.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-06-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
you lost me with the wording in the last sentence... :)

I didn't realise the S&S were 4 into 1... thanks.

well when you go to their web site it gives you the idea that you can get their headers from a bunch of retailers. Which is true, just not true for our cars, they can only be purchased directly from s&sheaders, no nopi, fastfours, optauto.com, autozone, ect.

TeKKnoTeKK
06-06-2002, 11:35 PM
any idea what they charge Jim? That is gonna be my next mod. Oh that reminds me of something funny....After I got my exhaust done my GF says, so what is next on your list? I said nothing soon but probably a new header, and she's like, no I meant for me!!! Hahahah (She's always setting me up with little tests like that) :D

A20A1
06-06-2002, 11:39 PM
Haha... smart gal. :lol

Ok gotcha Jim... but the link doesn't work... I keep getting an error message :(

Jims 86LXI HB
06-07-2002, 12:05 AM
Opps my bad, sorry I should have tested it.:rolleyes:

www.ssheaders.com/4Cylinder.htm

also they've got a pretty good header tech section, I thought it was a interesting read. Don't know if they are being subjective, but it's interesting.;)

www.ssheaders.com/header.htm

CoAsTeR
06-07-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by TeKKnoTeKK
any idea what they charge Jim? That is gonna be my next mod. Oh that reminds me of something funny....After I got my exhaust done my GF says, so what is next on your list? I said nothing soon but probably a new header, and she's like, no I meant for me!!! Hahahah (She's always setting me up with little tests like that) :D

so you wrap the header up in a box, put a bowtie on it and give it to her... just ask her if you can borrow it to put it on your car since she's not using it in the meantime :werd:

Site
10-22-2002, 11:51 AM
A question for guys who have ordered mandrel bends:
1. How many bends and at what degree of bend?

Autospeed.com had an article stating that getting mandrel bends may be useless because the shope welds them in, which creates "steps" in the piping. The "steps" in turn interrupt the flow making the mandrel bends as effective as piping bent in a press. The article also stated that unless the bend was more than 45 deg, mandrel vs. press bent made no difference, too.

Anyone else got an opinion on this?

87AccordsterLx
10-22-2002, 10:46 PM
hmm... I dont think thats true... if you look at a 30deg bend for example... the difference is major between mandrel and non... I have regular non mandrel bent piping and you can noticeably tell how much the pipe crimps in ... its like a oval in stead of a circle... I dont think our heat sheids run 45degrees do they??? I dont remember the guy bending any 45 degs... unless I just forgot...