PDA

View Full Version : Carbed 1988 accord wont stay running long

austinb88lx
03-17-2016, 04:15 PM
I have a carbed 1988 Honda accord lx 5spd. It starts but idles high, around 3000rpms after I give it gas twice it goes down to around 1500-2000rpms. After a couple minutes of idling it starts to make a sucking sound like its taking in straight air and it constantly wants to die, I have to constantly give It gas to stay running. I haven't been able to drive it for a week now. whenever I could drive it it would start, go down in idle, and after about 5 minutes of driving it started to make that sucking sound, but after driving for another 3-5 minutes it would stop and not try to die anymore. It has a new carb, and new fuel filters, spark plugs are fine, wires are fine and fuel pump seems to be fine but not entirely sure. I have no idea whats going on, please help me it is my only car and I need it to be running asap. Thanks in advance.

Griff
03-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Check all the vacuum lines maybe? You may have a vacuum leak.

Dr_Snooz
03-19-2016, 01:54 PM
x2 on vacuum leak.

austinb88lx
03-20-2016, 09:50 AM
The car is straightpiped could it also not be getting enough back pressure?

austinb88lx
03-25-2016, 02:24 PM
I recently just tested the choke wire to see if it was getting power, it wasn't, so I connected it to my fans. (my fans are on a toggle switch)
After connecting it to the fans it was getting power, even with the choke getting power it still makes the sucking sound after 5 minutes of being ran.

Oldblueaccord
03-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Set your base idle hot. it should be separate from your cold (high) idle like you stated.

Choke open fully engine temp all the way up.

Also check your timing same engine warmed up.

austinb88lx
03-26-2016, 03:35 PM
Set your base idle hot. it should be separate from your cold (high) idle like you stated.

Choke open fully engine temp all the way up.

Also check your timing same engine warmed up.

So I need to set my idle low?

Oldblueaccord
03-30-2016, 05:19 AM
your base idle HOT needs to be set higher so the car doesn't stall. The car is wanting to stall out because the idle is to low.

If you cant get the idle set then there is something else wrong possibly with timing or the motor itself.