PDA

View Full Version : Irritating noise

Stefi-blueLX
01-20-2003, 09:22 PM
Back in the beginning of Dec., there was a strange noise from under the hood. It sounds like squeaky breaks. The noise has gotten louder, and it freakin embarrassing to drive a car that damn loud! :mad:

My dad and I got 2 mechanics to look at it and they said that it had something to do with the timimg belt, which WAS replaced @ 93k, we're at 153k now. I thought it would have something to do with the altenator, and dad agrees.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

1989 DX R
01-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Well, my driver side brakes squeal really loud...so I know how you feel.

SiR
01-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Could it be the tension on the belt being too loose?

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Could also be the water pump gone bad. Those squeal like a big ol' pig after you steal his dinner! If you take the belt off and try spinning the w-p by hand, it won't spin smoothly or quietly if the bearings are bad. If you have a long screwdriver or a long pipe you can put it up to things while the car is running, then put your ear to the other end and listen. It's kinda like a ghetto stethoscope, lol. That can help narrow down where the sounds are coming from.

ACCORD EX
01-21-2003, 12:40 PM
i would check the tension on all belts ! but does it squeek all the time ! or only when cold ?

MIKE

dosh8er
01-21-2003, 03:50 PM
i had the same problem sound.. Jarred is right, the water pump will squeel like a mofo when its time is coming. If you want to think about the belts after the tension has been checked, take a can of belt dressing (get it at auto stores) and spray all the belts down as its running to get rid of squeal.