PDA

View Full Version : '86 accord lx-i type r project

Ivansangel
03-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Hello world. A few months ago I bought a third gen. Accord as a project. Since then I've done research and found that these little hondas have quite a bit of potential, so I am continuing my journey on this build. I'm going to try to get the most out of my a20 before going to a b16 swap. Since I bought it I have gotten replica mugen wheels, prelude si seats, and lowering springs made by an eibach company. In the near future I am planning ngj platinum spark plugs and wires, Bosch cap and rotor, prelude si axles, 205/55r15 tires, and a new water pump. Any information or advice regarding my build is highly appreciated! I will keep you updated, thank you!

conozo
03-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Welcome. I think the general consensus is that the stock NGK plugs are better than any other plug you can buy for these engines.

Hauntd ca3
03-21-2016, 01:26 AM
Yep, Either the NGK or Denso plugs are the go with old Hondas.
I dont really think there is any real advantage going for the platinum or iridium plugs over a standard plug apart from replacement intervals being longer.
As for going for a B16a , You are not really gaining much imo.
More power, sure but less torque i think.
The old A series has proven to be a good old engine for both NA or turbo applications .
try going with the standard intake, header and exhaust mods and go from there .
If you were to transplant , depending where you are in the world of course , i'd be looking more at the H22a , B18c or even k series now someone is working on mounts to suit the 3g .
Or if you dont mind doing it the hard way , B20a is an option.Harder to find, get bits for and find manual gearboxes for , but good for an easy 190-200 hp at the flywheel without being a hand grenade .

Ivansangel
03-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Yep, Either the NGK or Denso plugs are the go with old Hondas.
I dont really think there is any real advantage going for the platinum or iridium plugs over a standard plug apart from replacement intervals being longer.
As for going for a B16a , You are not really gaining much imo.
More power, sure but less torque i think.
The old A series has proven to be a good old engine for both NA or turbo applications .
try going with the standard intake, header and exhaust mods and go from there .
If you were to transplant , depending where you are in the world of course , i'd be looking more at the H22a , B18c or even k series now someone is working on mounts to suit the 3g .
Or if you dont mind doing it the hard way , B20a is an option.Harder to find, get bits for and find manual gearboxes for , but good for an easy 190-200 hp at the flywheel without being a hand grenade .

OK. Thanks. After thinking it over I think I will go with an NA A20. What do you guys think in the suspension. I already have adjustable lowering springs. But is there anything else? For example suspension parts froma 3g prelude and what rear rotors will fit my car??