PDA

View Full Version : 88 Accord DX 5speed Axel from spindle removel

new2medx
03-21-2016, 02:25 PM
I' ve been trying to remove my knuckle from the axle on the drivers side to no avail. I've rented a slide hammer and worked on it for hours...nothing. Anyone know of a trick or easy method to get this removed? Trying to replace the wheel bearing. Thanks in advance. new2medx

zenapup
03-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Are you trying to remove the cv axle or the hub from the knuckle. I'm going to assume you did take the axle nut off the end right? You have to separate the lower ball joint from the knuckle to get enough clearance to get the axle out. Damper fork also has to be removed from the LCA and the strut.

zenapup
03-21-2016, 04:46 PM
If the CV axle won't come out of the spindle, that would be something I've never heard of or seen. Only advice would be find the biggest sledge hammer you can find and hit the end of the axle stub as hard as you can (leave axle nut just flush to protect threads)

Oldblueaccord
03-22-2016, 12:11 AM
I' ve been trying to remove my knuckle from the axle on the drivers side to no avail. I've rented a slide hammer and worked on it for hours...nothing. Anyone know of a trick or easy method to get this removed? Trying to replace the wheel bearing. Thanks in advance. new2medx

you might have to use some kinda of puller to get the bearing end off.

A large 3 jaw puller should do it.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~slray/04F250/BallJoints/RSBallJoints-043.JPG

Other option it take axel and all off the car and have them pressed apart at a shop.

new2medx
03-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Thanks all, the puller did the job.

Oldblueaccord
03-28-2016, 07:47 AM
Yeah sometimes brute force is NOT the answer just slow steady pressure.

Learned that the hard way to many times to tell on here.