PDA

View Full Version : Car cuts out when turning left

BITESIZE
01-20-2003, 10:18 PM
My car has been acting up in the passed several weeks. My car is a 89 lxi ( fuel injected ). Has anyone had this problem before?
I changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter about 2 months ago. Maybe the Fuel Pump?

BITESIZE
01-20-2003, 10:18 PM
It only does this when turning left.

ACCORD EX
01-21-2003, 12:41 PM
i 've heard about this problem before on this board and i don't think he got a straight answer ! that's weird ! :werd:

MIKE

BITESIZE
01-21-2003, 12:48 PM
It's beginning to piss me off royaly. I disconnected the oil pressure thing from the engine and hooked up a sunpro oil pressure gauge about a month ago. Could this mess my car up? By the way I haven't posted any pictures yet, but I have a Big Tach mounted on my console, a/f gauge, Volt, temp, and oil gauge mounted flush in my dash as well. If anyone thinks by putting these in would mess my car up let know please. Other than that my car Looks pretty sweet. I'll post some pictures someday. My whole interior (red) matches my car's exterior too.

shepherd79
01-21-2003, 02:54 PM
ok, do this, next time you turn left and the car cuts off, look at the computer and see if oyu get any code.

dosh8er
01-21-2003, 03:18 PM
cuts out? you mean, engine just dies? auto or manual transmission?

maybe a wire in the inside of the steering column shorting out ??? that would be my #1 guesss.

89AccordNate
01-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Plan your trips where you ONLY turn right......isnt that the easy solution?

:D

Nate.

BITESIZE
01-21-2003, 05:30 PM
yeah, my engine dies sometimes, and only cuts out the rest of the time. It's an automatic.

johndej
01-21-2003, 06:16 PM
thats odd, i noticed that sometimes when i'm stopped somewhere and i turn the wheel like hard left or hard right that the engine kinda stutters or something (rpms went from like 800 down to 500 and back and forth a cuple times) but i got a tune up and that went away. i think it had something to do w/ oil.

BITESIZE
01-21-2003, 06:25 PM
what do you mean oil? tranny oil, engine oil, power steering oil?

johndej
01-21-2003, 06:41 PM
i don't know, i got a whole tune up (they did just about everything) w/ all fluid changes and it was fine when i got it back.

BITESIZE
01-21-2003, 07:11 PM
my car is pretty much all tuned up. new engine oil, tranny oil, powersteering oil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, new tachometer, gauges, new radiator.........

I was wondering if my timing could be messed up?

ACCORD EX
01-22-2003, 03:06 AM
i think it's something go to do with fluids or steering !
anyway i have a test for you ! put the car on stands ( front end up ) and then drive the car with turning left and right ! if it cuts out so it's something got do with steering ! if not , so it's something got to do with fluids !

MIKE

BITESIZE
01-22-2003, 09:54 AM
That's a good idea. I was wondering if the Powersteering pump was going bad, but it should do it when turning right. I'll try that situation on Saturday.

ACCORD EX
01-22-2003, 12:55 PM
good luck !

MIKE

accord_lx_86
01-23-2003, 12:23 AM
i've gotten bad spark plugs that have caused previous cars to cut out at different times...my mom's car had a bad plug in it recently..pulled it out and u could see a crack in the porcelain surface...that causes the plug to have weak fire..resulting in a miss....try re-gapping ur plugs...if that doesnt work..use ur old wires for a test run...could be bad wires...i've experienced both

BITESIZE
01-23-2003, 12:49 AM
plugs are fine, regapped as well the other day. {ngk's} Wires are 2 months old, guess it wouldn't hurt to try my old ones. I'll be pissed at auto zone if the bosch wires are bad.

wallyyfm
01-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Hey man, you check your alternator. The Power steer draws from the alternator, if its going, or the bearing is going, or if its plain old fucked up, it'll draw on the engine and cut it out. My baby's running pretty shitty right now, I turn on the lights and it just about dies, needs an alternator rebuild

AZmike
01-24-2003, 07:09 PM
The power steering does not run off the alternator. The power steering system is run by a seprate belt of the crankshaft that runs a pump.

Try pulling the PS belt off and driving for a while and see if it solves the problem to rule out the PS system.

wallyyfm
01-24-2003, 07:18 PM
this proves how much i know about that thing, i've done the tranny, tank, and radiator, i guess i dunno shit about the pwr steering

Lester Lugnut
01-25-2003, 09:56 AM
If you pull the power steering belt the only place you'll go is straight ahead. No belt - no power steering.

AZmike
01-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Yes, that's true. The Power sttering will not work without the running pump. You can still drive the car without too much difficulty. Parking lots are more difficult.

If the constant-pressure valve in the pump and the control valve in the rack were sticking the PS pump might create a large enough drag for long enough to kill the engine. It's not the most likely, but it wouldn't take long to figure out if it's causing the problems by driving without the belt as I suggested.

3G Jester
01-26-2003, 06:15 PM
what about it being as simple as some sort of loose wire in the steering colmn.......when you turn left...the wires get pulled and cuts it out.........just a thought.

ACCORD EX
01-26-2003, 09:20 PM
that's why i told to do my little test ! ?
hey did you do it ? what happened !

MIKE

BITESIZE
09-22-2003, 08:03 PM
It was my coil all along. He He He

BootMachine
09-23-2003, 09:52 AM
I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH MY CAR!

It cuts out when you turn left !!!

Turned out my distrubutor (not the cap but the entire thing) had worn out 100% and was fucked.....I checked my timing and it was jumping around all over the place so that confirmed it.

I replaced the entire distributor and the wires and I have never had the problem since!

BITESIZE
10-22-2003, 11:59 PM
That's too crazy.

mdauriemma
03-25-2016, 11:25 PM
I had this problem a year ago after changing my distributor & coil. The engine would die after a left Uturn and not restart easily. Autozone had 2 distributor models, one was $85 or so cheaper that the other, and I got the cheaper one. I had taken my car at that time to a carb tuning place for my new Weber 38. They also had a hard time starting the car. It turned out that my new distributor was deffective. I exchanged it for the more expensive model & the problem vanished.

Now, 2 years later, same weber 38, cam regrind, best autozone dizzy, msd ignition, msd blaster2 coil mounted horizontal on stock coil bracket with zip ties, mod list goes on and on but virtually the same. Now, I was shooting down a street at 70mph & hit a slight left bend, and the engine died. Lost power brakes & steering but didn't wreck. Started the car while rolling (manual trans), but it was hard to start. OH yeah, 1 yr old autozone fuel pump & I usually ride 1/3-1/2 full for weight reasons. I have no problems making Uturns. Sometimes when warm, I have to hold the pedal to the floor to start the car as well. Any Ideas what could be causing this?

mdauriemma
03-25-2016, 11:30 PM
Also, The alternator is the 1 engine bolt on that I have not replaced/ upgraded since purchasing the car 3 years ago. Autozone claimed it was working fine when I last changed my battery 3 Months ago.

Oldblueaccord
03-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Also, The alternator is the 1 engine bolt on that I have not replaced/ upgraded since purchasing the car 3 years ago. Autozone claimed it was working fine when I last changed my battery 3 Months ago.

Just off the top of my head. MSD cheap Chinese junk.

Verifying fuel pressure,correct voltage not a bad idea either.

Stewzzz
04-24-2016, 06:49 PM
I had this I replaced ignition coil and tw sensor and it was one of the two that fixed it I think it was the tw sensor

POS carb
05-01-2016, 06:20 AM
Holy thread resurrection Batman. Saw some old names in there. I think mine used to die on hard right turns because the Weber I had was not designed to be installed on a transverse fwd engine so the float level would rise too high on right turns and cut on left turns