PDA

View Full Version : Axle Question

Griff
03-26-2016, 08:08 PM
I tend to write too much so I have highlighted the question and important info in bold if you want to skip to that.

When I push the drivers side axle into the transmission the farthest it can go in (the same distance it will go in without the c-clip), I can still pull it out of the transmission.

-There is a new OEM c-clip on the end of the axle.
-The splines look great in the transmission and on the axle.
-The transmission seal is in good shape and there is not an old c-clip remaining in the transmission.
-The axle appears to be in all the way and will not go in any further.
-I am not hearing a distinct snap when the axle is pushed in.

If I can pull the axle out of the transmission, considering the conditions given above, does this mean that the axle is not in all the way and will eventually pop out?

The previous owner had both axles replaced at Brakes Plus so I cannot compare the old axle with the current one. All of the other work previous owners had this company do on my Accord and Civic was done incorrectly. So, I do have a reasonable suspicion they messed up the axle job as well. The axle came out of the transmission for the previous owner so I am thinking that an incorrect axle was installed. The car has a manual transmission so maybe they put a drivers side axle for an automatic on the car.

I wanted to make sure I am not missing anything obvious before I go out and buy a new axle; what else can be preventing the axle from going in all the way besides it being a wrong length?

Oldblueaccord
03-28-2016, 07:45 AM
You questions are always well thought out so the more info the better I think.

My question is is this problem with the front end disassembled? meaning the axle just comes out when you insert it by hand or comes out with the car put together?

The second means like you suspect the length is incorrect.

The first might mean alot more like the groove damaged in the diff. Or the spline length is not correct and the clip and the groove wont align.

Once that axle is locked in there usually really in there. Like I had had to rent a slide hammer to get them out.

My first thought,checking everything else, is to really slam that thing home and see if it snaps in or even a block of wood on the inner joint and a hammer. Just dont damage the boot.

87rustbucket
03-29-2016, 09:03 AM
I replaced my half shafts recently and they just slide in that seems to be how they work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jydxpsh13WQ

This video helped my understand more about replacing them. He start to put it back in at about the 10 min mark. As long as they go in all the way and they look the same then you should be good.

Griff
03-29-2016, 11:48 AM
The axle could be pulled partially out of the transmission both when separated from the hub and when bolted to the hub with everything together.

I just picked up a new axle from Carquest. Here is a photo comparing the two (the new axle is on the right).
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160329/ca1b01f15fcd900446bad3efbb0642b3.jpg
Looks like the old axle has a slightly shorter input shaft.

Thanks for the video 87; I will watch that before I install the new axle.

Oldblueaccord
03-30-2016, 05:16 AM
I think you got it.

But of course double check everything that part could be wrong too.

It one of the biggest reason I rarely work on cars anymore,wrong parts,Chinese junk parts that wont last. I just have gotten sick of it.