PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge

88' Accord Ltd
01-21-2003, 09:12 AM
Hey i have an 86 carbed and just lately my gas gauge has gone all fucked up. Ill be driving around no problems then when i come to a stop the gas gauge will go down from a little above 3/4 to a little under 1/2. It will rise again to 3/4 if i start to drive again or i let it idle there. I was thinking its just the gas sloshing around in the tank but the thing is is that is WASN'T doing it before. Is this a problem? what could have died to make this happen? anyone else have this problem?

Mantis88LX
01-21-2003, 09:31 AM
mine does the same thing. have no idea what the problems is

SiR
01-21-2003, 11:33 AM
It might be the sending unit going RIP on you soon. OR the wires to the sending unit have loose connections.

Mantis88LX
01-21-2003, 12:05 PM
mine has did this since i have owned the car,

ACCORD EX
01-21-2003, 12:48 PM
well mine does it do that !
my belt on a a faulty gauge or sending unit ! unfortuntely i don't know where the unit that measures the level in the tank in our cars ! check the service manual !

MIKE

BITESIZE
01-21-2003, 12:52 PM
I know how to solve the problem. Keep your tank full. That way the gauge stays at the top. Just kidding. I have the same problem too. It does it when I stop. It will go from 3/4 to 1/2. I guess the gas is sloshing around in the tank. Sounds logical to me.

SiR
01-21-2003, 01:12 PM
I think if you pull the backseat down and lift up the carpet, there are two panels. The panel on the right side is the sending unit, while the left one is the fuel pump.

88' Accord Ltd
01-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Ok, ill try to change the sending unit. I took it for a drive this afternoon and the problem seems to be gone. I duno i guess the sending unit is going. I've just been keeping the tank full the last few days because i had no idea what the problem was. Thanks.

SiR
01-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 88' Accord Ltd
Ok, ill try to change the sending unit. I took it for a drive this afternoon and the problem seems to be gone. I duno i guess the sending unit is going. I've just been keeping the tank full the last few days because i had no idea what the problem was. Thanks.

You might not have to change it, it might just be the wires being loose. Glad to help.

ACCORD EX
01-22-2003, 02:56 AM
yes AccordSiR is totally right ! the sending unit is a piec of cake nothing can go wrong in it except loose wires or a faulty resistance ( not likely ! )

check www.howstuffworks.com and check the fuel gauges in the automotive section ! you 'll understand everything about the m !

MIKE

MrBen
01-22-2003, 09:59 PM
mine does it too. keep us posted okay?