PDA

View Full Version : need help..., car don't move....

maka_RTH
01-21-2003, 02:44 PM
ok, well, as some of you know, i've been helping my friend get his car going again. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12335 so, anyways..., we go the clutch in..., and it's all back together(although i noticed that the passenger side cv joint isn't all the way in..., but i wasn't there when they finished stuff up). so, anyways..., it's all back together, it starts..., but it doesn't move. from what i'd heard, i was thinking clutch cable. but, now i'm not too sure, cuz i looked at it today..., and i can't completely tell without someone to help me..., but yah. when you press the clutch in..., it sometimes takes a second to come back out(indicating the clutch cable, right?) but, the cable looks like it's about as tight as it goes..., and when it does come out..., it doesn't stall or anything. and, when i put it in gear(i tried all gears), it almost seems as if it's not even going into gear :wtf: soo, my conclusion is either the clutch is permanetly engaged for some reason(which i can't really tell without someone helping me... so i can look at the cable when the pedal is pushed and stuff...), or the tranny won't go into gear..., which could or could not be the case. there's no reason for it to not go into gear..., we didn't play with the shift linkage or anything..., just unbolted it from the tranny when we dropped it. anyhelp would be greatly appreciated..., seeing as how neither of us currently has a working tranny in our car...

dosh8er
01-21-2003, 03:30 PM
The clutch is 'sticking ' to the floor, eh?
I'd say you got too much slack in the cable still... stiffen that thing up.. i'd say it's got no action right now.

hey, you said the cv joint / driveshaft wasn't all the way into the tranny when he/you/whatever finished up...does it have enough transmission fluid in there.. happened to me, make sure you check that.

maka_RTH
01-21-2003, 04:53 PM
i noticed that there was a little bit of leakage, but very little. it's barely not in..., from what i saw. i didn't really play with it, it wasn't on the jackstands anymore, and i didn't really want to try and crawl underneath it and all.

Sean
01-21-2003, 05:17 PM
sounds like the CV jint need to be put in all the way. unless the flywheel is so out of spec the clutch is not making contatc with the pressure plate. id check the cv joint. if there not in itll cuase this type of trobule.

maka_RTH
01-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Sean
sounds like the CV jint need to be put in all the way. unless the flywheel is so out of spec the clutch is not making contatc with the pressure plate. id check the cv joint. if there not in itll cuase this type of trobule.
i'll try that and hope it works, thanks for the help!

ACCORD EX
01-22-2003, 03:02 AM
what the C.v joint has to do with gears !aren't teh gears supposed to shift even if therer are no C.v joints ! :rolleyes:

MIKE

maka_RTH
01-22-2003, 03:42 PM
well, i payed with it some more today. the clutch isn't completely dis-engageing or whatever. my friend was with me. i had him push the clutch in. the pedal came back out, but the release arm could be pushed back down about 1/2 an inch. i played with the cable adjustment, no luck there. i'm thinking it's the spring for the release/throwout bearing isn't stiff enough anymore to pull the release bearing back and the release arm all the way down. we put it up on jack stands, started it, put it in gear, and it wouldn't spin anything. then i'd push the release arm down that 1/2 inch or less, and the wheels would finally start spinning. we'll prolly have a machanic look at it..., cuz we don't want to go through the trouble of pulling the tranny out again..., takes too long, we don't have the time right now.