PDA

View Full Version : Power window wiring questions

87rustbucket
04-07-2016, 08:39 AM
So after being with out an operational window for a long time I'm beginning to just accept that I won't find a manual window regulator any time soon if at all. So I've been looking into making it a power window.

Here are my main questions

1. I see that the power window regulator has 4 wires, what are they all for? My guess; power, ground, up, down?

2. what kind of switch should I use, would a simple 3 way work, or does it need to be a particular kind?

3. what should the amp rating on the fuse be? There are some unused fuse spots in my car.

And any other information would be most appreciated.

conozo
04-14-2016, 03:53 AM
I don't know this information off the top of my head but the wiring diagram in the shop manual would tell you the fuse size and what the wires are for.

Any chance you can have the manual regulator welded and a local shop for a fix, what's it doing?

carotman
04-14-2016, 10:12 AM
If you can find a power window regulator, you can remove the motor that's on it and install the manual crank. Simple stuff.

87rustbucket
06-13-2016, 12:22 PM
If you can find a power window regulator, you can remove the motor that's on it and install the manual crank. Simple stuff.

The motor will come off the power regulator but the gearing for the manual window regulator does not come off.

87rustbucket
06-13-2016, 12:29 PM
I made some progress on my power window modification, still have a few things to sort out. Found out that I only needed 2 wires from the motor, 2 are for the auto up down that I don't need. Also I pulled a left rear power window switch from a wrecking yard.

Figured this part out with the help on a wiring diagram and my dad who's an engineer.

87rustbucket
06-13-2016, 12:46 PM

Just need a power source now, anyone know the best place to get power?

87rustbucket
06-18-2016, 01:26 PM
Got it all wired up and now all I have to do is flip a switch to operate my window. Found out that there was a few wires all ready for power windows under the glove box. Connected that to my wires and put a fuse in the blank spot that is labeled 'Front left power window' it it works like a charm.

Dr_Snooz
06-25-2016, 07:21 PM
Very cool when you find ready wires like that. I remember wanting a clock in my '76. I thought I'd have to run a wire when my dad clued me in that a wire was probably just behind the blank out plate. I pulled the plate and, sure enough, a wire was there waiting. After my next trip to the junkyard, I had a clock. It was wildly inaccurate, but I had one.