PDA

View Full Version : Running Wire Through the Firewall

1989 Lxi Coupe
01-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Hey, I was trying to install my sub and amp the other day and I couldnt figure out were I should run the power wire. There didnt seem to be any easy holes to access. Also the fact that it was 20 degrees out didnt help! Were did you guys run yours? Did you drill it yourself? I would like to keep it on the same side as the battery if possable. Pics would be very helpful. I have an 89 Lxi Coupe with AC so those holes are full. Thank You. :)

RobT5580
01-21-2003, 08:52 PM
The only real easy access point is on the fire wall above the gas pedal you will find a rubber grommet. I dont like this point but its the easiest access into the cabin. The best place i have found was behind the pass feder but it requires more work. If you use the one above the pedal just be sure to secure the wire with zip ties or what ever.

maka_RTH
01-21-2003, 09:44 PM
i put my driving light wires through here(behind the black deal):

shepherd79
01-22-2003, 04:26 AM
does your AC works?
if it doesn't than you can use the hole where the condensation tube is comming out. it is on passenger side. tube is made of rubber.

AccordEpicenter
01-22-2003, 10:28 AM
I used the grommet Rob did, and it works well, plus you can take the grommet and slit it to put your wires through. One important thing is to make sure the cable doesnt get caught up in the pedals, so make sure you nylon tie it out of the way. To find the grommet, just look at the top of your intake manifold, where it says PGM-FI and right behind it in the firewall there are a bunch of grommets, some with cables through them, just use one that doesnt have a cable running through it.

1989 Lxi Coupe
01-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Yeah, my AC works and it nice and cool. Not that that helps any right now *lol* its like 18 degrees!! Looks like I will use the hole by the gas pedal. Thanks Alot, I'll let you guys know how it works out. :)

89bumblethumper
01-22-2003, 09:19 PM
there is also a hole under the carpet on the passnger side about 4 inches back from the crease of the metal. thats where mine runs

Defiant[YD]
01-23-2003, 10:20 PM
yah, i put all my wiring through the rubber grommet on the passenger side. safer since u won't have any risk of hitting ur pedals. and it should be closer to the battery.

maka_RTH
01-24-2003, 12:23 AM
the grommet i stuck mine through are way above the pedals.., and they're also prolly the only way the wires that came with my lights would've reached, lol

meanaccord
01-24-2003, 11:15 AM
I drilled a hole through my firewall. On the passenger side. I never ran it through any grommets. I just drilled and put the plastic grommet that came with the kit in it. Its a lot easier if you ask me

3rdGenFanatic
01-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Actually, I tucked mine well enough to where you can't see it and just went under the fender to body screw under the hood. no drilling, no grommets, and no wiring if you do it correctly.

86hatchbackLXi
02-13-2003, 09:58 PM
right behind the intake manifold there is a rubber grommer, it leads into the car behind the steering column. this was the easiet place for me, but you may find a better spot. drill a new spot if you need to (just make sure your not drilling into anything important)

danronian
02-17-2003, 08:26 PM
For my power cord I just drilled a hole at the front right corner of the passenger side floor. If I would have seen the grommet four inches back it would have been easier since it was also about 20 degreese outside when I did it. Just make sure if you drill it that you put sealant around the hole in case of a possible exhaust leak that could occur.

SiCReX
02-24-2003, 12:01 AM
i just ran my wire up along the left side of the engine bay all the way to where the passenger door opens, then run it down that and under the plastic covering on the side steps all the way passed the seat belt and into the back seat. I will get some pics, its really simple and it doesnt look bad at all, all you need is a screw driver to undo the plastic side steps or whatever they are called.

87DXHatch
02-24-2003, 12:29 PM
^^^ I did that too, for a temporary solution, but it really looks and screams ghetto.

Going through grommets like most mentioned on here is pretty easy, it shouldn't take you more than like 20-30 minutes tops to do it.

Anyone have advice for where I should run my 0-guage once it gets warm out? In my hatch I had it go from the battery to a grommet under the front passenger's feet, and from there back. This time I think I either want it inside all the way, or outside until it gets to the trunk, and then through a trunk grommet.

89LXIGUY
02-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Im pretty sure this is what SiCReX is talking about.

1. Right at the passenger corner of the engine bay, closest to the windshield there should be a grommet that runs into your fender. Take it out or slit it to put your wire in.

2. Then open your pass door and look in your fender for the wire.

3. When you see it hook it w/ a wire hanger and pull it thru to u.

4. Now look where the wires from your door enter the pass side of the cab. Slit it and put your wire thru.

5. Get in the pass floorboard and w/ a flashlight and look up where the wire should come in. Find it, grab it, and pull it thru.

6. take your choice of how u get from there to your amp.

I did what sicrex did, under the plastic panel.

hope this helps:smokin: :D

SiCReX
02-24-2003, 05:37 PM
ya its easier and it dont look ghetto, you can bearley see any wires on mine.

kennycm
03-02-2003, 08:02 PM
i used the hole on top of the gas pedal, the only problem is that my engine gets real hot and the wires seemed to burn up once but maybe i was running her too hard.

88 Accord DX
03-02-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by 89LXIGUY
Im pretty sure this is what SiCReX is talking about.

1. Right at the passenger corner of the engine bay, closest to the windshield there should be a grommet that runs into your fender. Take it out or slit it to put your wire in.

2. Then open your pass door and look in your fender for the wire.

3. When you see it hook it w/ a wire hanger and pull it thru to u.

4. Now look where the wires from your door enter the pass side of the cab. Slit it and put your wire thru.

5. Get in the pass floorboard and w/ a flashlight and look up where the wire should come in. Find it, grab it, and pull it thru.

6. take your choice of how u get from there to your amp.

I did what sicrex did, under the plastic panel.

hope this helps:smokin: :D

this is what i did. no tools needed. just maybe a flashlight or some string to pull the wire through.