PDA

View Full Version : AC idle-up solenoid valve

Hidden lights
04-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Hey guys, this is some part that is totally impossible to find around. Every time you turn on your AC, this solenoid valve activates an increase in idling by sucking air from the AC idling boost throttle assembly. Mine apparently said goodbye as it had seen better days. The problem is I cant seem to find one anywhere. Does anybody know where on earth I can get hold of one ?? Part Number is 38771pj0601.

TIA

Les

conozo
04-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Junkyard is the only place you could get one of those.

I cannot look at the part right now but is there a way to disassemble it and rebuild it? Also have you make sure that its getting good voltage when the AC is on?

Hidden lights
04-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Thanks conozo. Yes i have checked for voltage and there is none. So that means i have to go through all the pain of checking the control box, per Service Manual. From the looks of it, the solenoid doesnt look really all that good as there were modifications done to it by thenprevious owner so I am assuming i
Am gonna have to replace it anyway. Problem is, they dont sell that kind anymore.
Is there another solenoid from another honda model that we know will also do the same thing ? Looks like thats a better option than a salvage yard... might be getting a malfuntioning solenoid as well.

Tia

Les

Hidden lights
04-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Hi guys, what's going on !!!

I need to test why there is no battery voltage to the AC idler boost solenoid. The Service Manual instructs me to take a look at the Control Unit under the driver's seat and do some specific tests related to the solenoid which hopes to answer why I don't have voltage going to it. Well, it failed on the test by not having battery voltage on Terminals 23 and 32 (ground); and not having voltage on Terminals 11 (ignition coil) and 32 (ground). The book then tells me to check the fuse. Can anybody help me by telling me which fuse do I check ??

Thanks in advance

Les

conozo
04-24-2016, 07:16 PM
I think you mean the ECU under the drivers seat. I don't know the pinout numbers that you mention but the Red wire is the AC/Idle Boost, does that have voltage when the AC is on.

Hidden lights
04-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Hey Conozo, I checked the ECU red wire after turning on the AC switch and there doesnt seem to have voltage coming from the connector into the
ECU. Where do I go next ? The book says to "check the fuse". Which one is that ??

I think you mean the ECU under the drivers seat. I don't know the pinout numbers that you mention but the Red wire is the AC/Idle Boost, does that have voltage when the AC is on.

conozo
04-26-2016, 05:03 PM
I've looked at my wiring diagram and it pretty much looks like it goes to the ECU and the ECU has its own fuse. Well if the ECU fuse was blown I'm pretty sure your car wouldn't run. I wonder if maybe you have a short in that wire somewhere. With the car off can you measure with an ohm meter/multimeter to see if its grounded.

Hidden lights
04-27-2016, 12:21 AM
I will check. Another way to solve this issue is to simply connect the boost solenoid to the ac compressor so that it sucks air to trigger the idle booster when the ac switch is turned "on". But I will do that when all else fail. Meanwhile i wanna do it the right way ie., get voltage going to the solenoid triggered by the ECU.
Will try to open the ECU this weekend and i hope to find a fuse or two inside it. If not, i think i 'll raise the white flag and go bananas. 😫

conozo
04-27-2016, 06:23 AM
There arent any fuses in the ECU but you may see a burnt component. I think its worth a look at this point. I think you are right, you could run a fused wire from the AC compressor wire to the Idle booster wire.

I applaud you for sticking with this and doing the troubleshooting correctly.

Hidden lights
04-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Thanks conozo. It's what we are: guys with dirty hands.

Cheers !!!

Dr_Snooz
04-30-2016, 08:23 AM
The ECU fuse is the #11 Clock fuse in the underhood fuse box.

POS carb
05-01-2016, 06:09 AM
Your chances of finding a new one are slim to none, however it is a simple system and can be retrofitted with something newer. I currently don't have access to the shop manual but if you post a wiring schematic for the control box I'll take a whack at it. Are you carb or efi?