PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes have trouble putting the car in gear

TJ89Accord
01-21-2003, 10:04 PM
A few times now I have went to shift the car into gear, I step on the brake, and go to push in the button, but I can't push in the button. It feels like it thinks I'm not pushing in the brake. And also usually when this happens, the key wont turn from the ignition to off. It gets really really aggravating when this happens. Anyone have an idea?

thanks

tim

RobT5580
01-22-2003, 08:32 AM
I just had that happen yesterday. The only thing i can say is its from the cold. My key was stuck so bad the other day that i had to turn the heat all the way up and direct the hot air with my hands to get the key out. Their is a specific lubricant for locks sold at hardware stores to use on the ignition. its graphite something cant remember but it was posted recently.

TJ89Accord
01-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Yah, I noticed that it usually does this only when it is cold. But I couldn't turn the car off, it would just go to the ignition spot. And when I cant put it in gear, the brake lights come on, so I know that its not the switch. Maybe there is a relay somwhere that is gettin stuck, but the heat lets it switch??? I dunno, it happened again tonight. But only when the car was cold.

tim