PDA

View Full Version : Paint?.... IN A CAN?

3rdGenMartyr
01-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Is there some place online that i can find premixed factory paint for my 89 lx-i sedan

i know i could go to a detailer and get some, but this would be less of a head ache

you see, i need body work and i dont have the grip to get it painted right away, so i will do a professional patch and paint job, until i can get the car shot with a new coat

as much as i want to remove the grille itself, i think it would look a little better painting the bars themselves... coments on that

joker2
01-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Goto Dupont's site and get their phone number, all you have to do is give them your color code and they will mix it up for you and place it in a spray can....... They will also sell you the primer and the clear coat as well........:D

rare_89lxi_coupe
01-22-2003, 08:38 PM
yes, yes they will. and rape you blind-but it's some GOOD paint.

LX-i prophet
01-22-2003, 09:00 PM
painting the bars???? eh, maybe. i think though it will be just too much. too many vertical lines, and if painted will give it a ....... how do i say it.......oh hell, it'll just look ugly. IMO. however, it could turn out good and you could get propz for originality.

rare_89lxi_coupe
01-22-2003, 09:03 PM
some things that people do turn out good, some things just don't look right. sometimes people paint the smoke colored eyebrows solid black and it looks good, sometimes the personality isnt' right. just try it and see. post pics and get opinions.

3rdGenMartyr
01-23-2003, 10:59 PM
i thought they would make it, but i wasnt sure.

as for painting the grille bars, someone made a post of getting their car back from..... yluck..... macco and they had the grille painted the same color as the car, and i thought it looked pretty pimp. i really dont like the black on white of the grille, and i refuse to spend damn near a grand on a body kit, just to change the front end of my car

all i'm worried about is curing the cancer and getting my POS looking better than it does.... thanks guys

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
01-29-2003, 03:53 PM
around how much they charge for the color mixed paint in the can from the dealership $25+???:confused:

if its more then 30 im like :flipa: that

Tim Yoak
02-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by LX-i prophet
painting the bars???? eh, maybe. i think though it will be just too much. too many vertical lines, and if painted will give it a ....... how do i say it.......oh hell, it'll just look ugly. IMO. however, it could turn out good and you could get propz for originality. before you paint the grill bars you need to clean then very well, I like marhyde total prep, it won't hurt the plastic, you spray it on let it sit for about five minutes, scrub the plastic rinse it off and do it again. just don't let it dry. after that you need some kind of adhesion promoter to go between the plastic and the paint. I use kleen strips bond aid, a lot of paint won't stick very well to plastic especially the eurthane that the grill is made out of, it's the chemicals in the plastic. this goes on after you clean the plastic and acts like a primer between the paint and the plastic. a lot of plastic looks good right after you paint it until the paint starts peeling off. the part number on that kleen strip is ebd456. just keep it out of the sunlight until you top coat the promoter. this also works good on interior parts they just have to be cleaned very well, most of them have 16 years of armour all on them. when is the last time you REMOVED armour all? the smallest spot you miss will cause a paint bubble. there is a good chance that the exterior parts have various automotive chemicals all over them too. same goes for the grill.

AccordChemist
02-05-2003, 10:37 AM
www.paintscratch.com

Tim Yoak
02-05-2003, 10:48 AM
:huh: $ 291 for a gallon of paint?? what do they do have a little japanese guy come out and mix it for you?? $100 for clear coat??

scandalcat1
02-05-2003, 05:32 PM
3rdGenMartyr,
Check out the driver's side door sill for the paint number, the little white sticker. You can take it to a local autozone ,auto shop, and especially the dealer (big cash money) just as what was suggested above and order exactly your color. Just watch for over spray. Sorry guys, I have no pics but you know what I am talking about, help a girl out...

Tim Yoak
02-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by scandalcat1
3rdGenMartyr,
Check out the driver's side door sill for the paint number, the little white sticker. You can take it to a local autozone ,auto shop, and especially the dealer (big cash money) just as what was suggested above and order exactly your color. Just watch for over spray. Sorry guys, I have no pics but you know what I am talking about, help a girl out... They don't make greek white in a can anymore, believe i've checked everyplace there was to check, thats the only source. every other color is available but that one. the color code is Nh 82, I've had it memorized for about the last 5 years. and it's not polar white as the dumbass at auto zone tried to convince me. ploar white is much brighter. this is more of an off white. he tried to tell me it was the same color, sorry seen both of them not even close. the only other source is nappa and it's still a hundred bucks a gallon. then you have to buy the compatible reducer and the clearcoat.

89accord_lxi_coupe
02-06-2003, 09:46 AM
i wouldn't mind getting a different color on my car. it's the factory blue-green whatever it is. i want maybe a more metallic blue ya know? i know the nopi store has the xenon body kit for like 879 bucks. also, the "eyebrows" i wouldn't mind replacing with something, what i don't know. any suggestions? i'm also gonna post about several other things i found for the car. in the appearance forum if ya wanna chime in on it.

Tim Yoak
02-06-2003, 01:26 PM
I'm going to stay with the original color because it's a rare color and you don't see it very often.