PDA

View Full Version : Power loss/"limp home mode"

daltonovich_
04-25-2016, 08:36 AM
Having some kind of power issue with my 86 LXi. After it warms up (~10 mins driving) there is a total loss of power when trying to accelerate. The car will just gradually bog down to a crawl, and will idle but can't drive more than basically idling in 1st gear..

It has been throwing the PGMFI light for awhile, the EGR code.

This probably has nothing to do with the problem but the filler neck seems to be busted as it is a pain to try and gas up and occasionally leaks little droplets of fuel when parked on an incline with a full tank. Is it possible that material is getting sucked up into the fuel lines and messing with fuel delivery? It had been sputtering some not long ago and I replaced the fuel filter which seemed to correct the problem back then.

About had it with this car lol...

Oldblueaccord
04-25-2016, 10:55 AM
Having some kind of power issue with my 86 LXi. After it warms up (~10 mins driving) there is a total loss of power when trying to accelerate. The car will just gradually bog down to a crawl, and will idle but can't drive more than basically idling in 1st gear..

It has been throwing the PGMFI light for awhile, the EGR code.

This probably has nothing to do with the problem but the filler neck seems to be busted as it is a pain to try and gas up and occasionally leaks little droplets of fuel when parked on an incline with a full tank. Is it possible that material is getting sucked up into the fuel lines and messing with fuel delivery? It had been sputtering some not long ago and I replaced the fuel filter which seemed to correct the problem back then.

About had it with this car lol...

Good chance you got rust in your fuel tank some from the filler neck,there known to rust there, and just from age. Im sure the intake pump sock is clogged up with junk.

You can try changing the fuel filter but it will just clog pretty quick.

I dont think the EGR code would cause the problem you are talking about unless the entire intake is carboned up.