PDA

View Full Version : stopper on struts

meanaccord
01-22-2003, 04:45 AM
If they new struts come with bumper stoppers, then howam i supposed to get them on there? because when i did it with my stock strut it wouldntlet it go up high enough. Can somebody please explain how to do this????

anchovies
01-22-2003, 12:50 PM
You mean the bump stops. Takes some time. But you have to force it in through the lip on the shaft. What you can do is make sure the shaft is all the way up and then put the bump stop on and the washer and nut (tighten a little) at the top. Now find a door and put the strut on one side and the washer facing you. Now pull on the washer. This will force the door to push the bump stop in. Use some soap water or ky jelly.

Oh yeah, if you need bump stops, I've got brand new Honda bump stops for the fronts and rears.

meanaccord
01-22-2003, 06:03 PM
so the bump stop are the things on the struts bar that goes up and down or is it the thing that goes on top on the spring. I just couldnt get it up high enough to put a nut on it. hey if any of you guys have or AIM, im me cuz i hate talking over this stuff. I need to know step by step procedures

anchovies
01-22-2003, 10:44 PM
What #?
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SG70_J12.gif

meanaccord
01-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Number 14 is what was messed up, it was either too high or too low or me to get the strut in the place on top. And it said in my instructions that i have to leave something off. I just dont get it.I think it said to take off 12, i am not sure, i have the intructions, and can scan and print them. If you have a email addy then i can show you

anchovies
01-23-2003, 01:20 PM
You see the lip on the strut shaft just like in the picture. The bump stop needs to go over that, meaning it should be between the lip and bottom of the shaft. Then everything else can go back the way it were. For #12 (dust boot), it's better to have that on to prevent dirt and grime getting into and destroying your strut. Are you putting new lowering springs and new struts?

meanaccord
01-23-2003, 02:51 PM
yes, i have new coilovers that go from 0-4 inches. I just ordered new struts. My dad can do it, but i just want to find out how, so i am not lost. Hes doing all the work.I just want to understand whats going on.

Jims 86LXI HB
01-23-2003, 11:20 PM
:werd: To all:

Do not not argue or talk shit in the forum's I moderate. It will not happen. I will delete your nastiness to get ya'll back to the original discussion.

If you are not getting a satisfactory answer pm me and if I do not know the answer I will contact the people who will get you the answer.

Jims 86LXI HB
01-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by meanaccord
yes, i have new coilovers that go from 0-4 inches. I just ordered new struts. My dad can do it, but i just want to find out how, so i am not lost. Hes doing all the work.I just want to understand whats going on.

Sounds like to me, like your rushing to install your coilovers on your stock struts, is this true? How long till your new struts come in?

Where exactly in the install precess are you?

87AccordsterLx
01-24-2003, 12:37 AM
good call on that Jim... Im sick of all of this B.S. latley...

:werd:

meanaccord
01-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Well they should be here like 5 days. But i have had them off before and i tried putting them on the stock strut. But changed my mind. So, i am just trying to find out whats goin on before i start.

Jims 86LXI HB
01-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by meanaccord
Well they should be here like 5 days. But i have had them off before and i tried putting them on the stock strut. But changed my mind. So, i am just trying to find out whats goin on before i start.

Ok, I see where your coming from now. Do not even think about this at this point. Once the struts come in (god I hope you bought konis) we will worry about it then. While you will need a spring compressor to get the strut mounts off you will not need to use one to do the install. The bump stop will need to be pushed past the dust cup seat (that's that lump you see at the half way point on the strut rod shaft. Then, I would place a washer done the shaft until it rested on the dust cup seat and then place the dust cup on and start the installation precess, in reverse of how they came out of the car. I will be very surprised if when you move the whole assembly to the car to install if you cannot get the strut rod to poke through and bolt it right up. If you can't, no biggie, just use creative thinking and use the weight of the car to slowly compress the strut assembly and raise the strut rod enough so you can catch enough threads to safely get the bolt on.

But seriously, I worried about things before my install, but with the great how to here on the board and having a open mind during the process, it was a NO STRESS learning experience. The only thing that might BITE you is frozen bolts and nuts, I had none, but I had my brothers 600 ft lbs torque air tool for any bolt that wanted to mess with me:D

meanaccord
01-24-2003, 03:40 PM
thanks man, finally i find out