PDA

View Full Version : Need new alternator question

lx 1986
05-05-2016, 02:29 PM
I'm looking for an alternator for my 86 honda accord lx, 2.0L, 2bbl carb with auto trans. Has anyone bought one from rockauto? If so which brand is reliable? I was looking at the remanufactured Denso. Has anyone bought one and had good results with it?

Oldblueaccord
05-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Only thing with Rockauto is the returns. shipping it back and forth if its bad where as local yokel parts place down the street could be quicker less painful.

Rebuilds usually are not that good.

Hauntd ca3
05-06-2016, 11:49 AM
A rebuilt altenator is as good as the guy that rebuilds it and the componants that he puts in .
I rebuild them on a pretty regular basis , and in 10 years have had only a handful fail .
Usually due to rectifier failure from running with a flat battery or stuffed battery .
When you put an altenator on , replace the belt , clean the battery terminals etc and make sure your battery is in good and fully charged condition .
And another tip , do not "test" your altenator by disconnecting the battery while the engine is running , thats a sure fire way to blow the altenator up .

lx 1986
05-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Thank you Oldblueaccord and Hauntd ca3 for your help and advice. I will go to the local parts house and get the alternator that way if there's any problem I can drive there and take care of the problem face to face.

I haven't replaced the alternator in 15 yrs. 1st replacement went down in 1 day. Returned it got another and it's lasted all this time.
I hope this takes care of all of my problems I'm having right now:

Fast idle is too high and doesn't want to come down on it's own

After driving for 20 min and restarting the car after it has sat for 5-10 mins it goes into fast idle again but will come down and idle will hang and car runs rough and gets hot.

The idle can't be adjusted because the idle hangs off and on

I had to disconnect the air temperature sensor on the snorkle of the air cleaner and found this would make the idle drop and stablize.

I'm assuming some or all of these thing are happening because the voltage regulator is failing.